• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Petrol bullet and patch lube, wax, building up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonibaruch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
At this moment, I tried a number of different patch lubes and actually they all worked well.

- Spit
- Olive oil + water
- Ballistol + water

Looking to try beeswax + olive oil.

My question arises from the fact that I noticed that, after soap cleaning, after thorough drying, after the last patch comes out dry and clean and after I maybe even hairdried the barrel, the first lubed patch I pass tend to show a brownish deposit which looks and smells to me something like dried/burnt oil, which no cleaner happened to clean.

I don't know if this may come from a deposit of the antirust oil I place on the clean barrel (ballistol mostly, or some other kind of gun oil), which probably has that petroleum base which MAY react with BP fumes.

Or maybe the patch oil?

Being Ballistol petroleum based, is it recomendable as patch lube?

The wax mixture I look to try (supposedly similar to bore butter) may eventually build up in the thin rifling of my 1:21 .45 caliber (mostly designed for minie and conics)? Especially if used to lube minie and conics? Would I be better staying with Pedersoli bullet grease (which smells like the seal grease I used on my greased boots and costs like crazy)?

Tb

Beeswax and olive oil is an excellent patch and conical lube. I mix mine thinner for patches and thicker for conicals. Just adjust the thickness with the amount of beeswax you put in it.

The brown stuff you are getting sounds like flash rust. It's normal after a thorough cleaning. The bare metal in the bore can flash rust easily before you oil it. It's no big deal. Just run a couple oily patches down until they come out clean again and you're done.

HD

The red color you are getting is most likely flash rust. It happens when you use very hot water in the barrel. STOP USING HOT WATER for cleaning. Water is a solvent. Heating the water very hot does not help it dissolve crud faster. Soap does, but not heat. Heat is used with dish water to help kill bacteria on your plates and flatware. This is not a concern for most of us shooting a BP firearm. At least I don't know anyone who eats anything out of the barrels of these guns! :rotf:

If you just have to use Hot water when cleaning your gun, rinse it with tepid- skin temperature-- water to cool the barrel and stop the quick rusting that occurs when Hot water evaporates off the metal surfaces. EASY!

Latest posts

Back