• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pheasant Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samerch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last Friday went hunting with my new to me 16 ga J Phelps Double barrel.The day was cold and blowing snow, had a hard time feeling my fingers. Makes it,s interesting feeling for wads, mite have droped a few.
SDpheasenthunt2008019.jpg

Great job. Draggin a m/l out on a cold day is what seperates the men from the . . . really cold men.

So THAT's what a pheasant looks like. The last umpty-dozen or so pheasant walks I have been out on I haven't seen a one.

Then I'll drive somewhere on a Saturday and one will be standing beside the road watching the cars go past. Grrrrrrr.

The load was 75 gains 2f .125 over powder card, 1/2" lubed fiber wad with 1 1/16 oz of copper 5 shot with a over shot card. The shots, one was head on the other two where strait away. Two stone dead when they hit the ground, one wasn't.
Merch

Good going. Now you are hooked on the ML'ing shotgun. I haven't used my breechloaders now in several years now for hunting.

To late on the getting hooked, that happened about 40 years ago. My Uncle let me shoot a 1851 navy, and that done it. When I was about 11 years old the same Uncle gave me a Civil War musket that had be bored out to a smooth bore. The musket/shotgun was butt ugly, but accounted for many a rabbit and squirrel around the farm. I getting ready to go goose hunting Friday with the same 16 ga. Will be loading with #2 bismith.

That looks like fun! Does your shotgun have any choke, or can a guy do that kind of shooting with cylinder choking (I've got a new-to-me Navy Arms gun, wonder :hmm: if I should plan on getting some choke in one of the barrels)

Golfswithwolves
The 16 ga that I use have no choke. It has a good patern out to 25 yards, useable out to 35 yards. I use copper coated shot, which seems to hold the patern a little bit better the plain lead.
Merch

Back