• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pheasant season is over....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For me this time and I am glad to say most were taken with black powder in muzzleloaders.

23 birds this season, one with a modern gun. About seven with modern rifle so I make that 15 with muzzleloaders.
A disastrous situation was unfolding however! My faux trade gun had not had the pleasure this season!
So on the last day it was put right.

Here we are in an old natural blind of many years for an hour.

To be honest I missed a few birds today but eventually we succeeded.

B :thumbsup:

Nice bird and it sounds like a fine toll for the season.

Please forgive my too fertile imagination for thinking after seeing your last photo, that it looks like a Highwayman had ordered "Your Pheasant or your Life!" and had received the bird as his toll. :haha:

Gus

Well done Brit, congratulations to you and Jess. I don't believe that I have ever seen a pheasant with that light of colored feathers. Is that normal or an anomaly? robin :bow:

Deputy Dog said:
Well done Brit, congratulations to you and Jess. I don't believe that I have ever seen a pheasant with that light of colored feathers. Is that normal or an anomaly? robin :bow:
Thank you Robin.

Yes, I was surprised too. Last year I had its twin brother from the same area! I don't know what to make of it, perhaps as tough as my old boots to chew!

B :wink:

Brits your the real deal! Great season! Always enjoy your posts... :grin:
Now get your honey-do's done before next season starts..Chop-Chop! :yakyak:

Artificer said:
Nice bird and it sounds like a fine toll for the season.

Please forgive my too fertile imagination for thinking after seeing your last photo, that it looks like a Highwayman had ordered "Your Pheasant or your Life!" and had received the bird as his toll. :haha:

Gus
--------------------------------------------

+2 had the same thought.

If I was a pheasant and saw Brit's with that look I would jump out of my feathers... :haha:

Robin,

I grew up hunting a LOT of Ringneck Pheasants in Iowa. We were only allowed to shoot the Roosters.

One day I was hunting with my Dad and it seemed all that were available that day was Hens. IOW, we only saw a couple with the colored heads. Finally three of what I thought were Hens busted up into the air. I did not shoot, but my Dad knocked one down pretty as you please.

I called over, "Hey, Dad, why did you shoot a Hen?" It landed closer to me, so he said to go over and pick it up. OK, when I looked down at it, I still thought it was a Hen and told him so. He told me to bring it over anyway. When I handed it to him, he pointed out the feathers around the neck that had just begun to turn colour, even though it was a good sized pheasant. IOW, it was a young Rooster whose feathers hadn't turned color yet, even though it was a big bird. We later found out that year's hatch was later than normal and that's the reason for so many Roosters that had not yet turned colour.

Of course I had to ask Dad how he knew that when he shot. He really had great eyes back then and said he had seen the sun glint off those feathers.

Well, I only got two pheasants that day because I could not tell the difference between the young Roosters and the Hens when they busted out to fly. Dad got another of the Juvenile Roosters along with a couple full colour Roosters.

Gus

Good job Kimosabe! :thumbsup: Been fly fishing too long and tying flies almost as long....every time someone holds up a game bird, I'm examining the feathers""! :shocked2: :haha:

Latest posts

Back