• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Phoenix-Texas style!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit03

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally made the pilgrimage back from Phoenix today. The trip was a long one out and back but well worth it for certain. I am fortunate to be able to attend some of these events and hope to attend even more in the coming years.

We had a big group from Texas, ten in all and we had a blast. We even made a little time to sample the local wine when not shooting! :shocked2:

Bonnie S. Won the Womens Bench Rest Championship and J.D. won the pistol shooting for the most part. He also broke 4 records while he was there to boot! I happen to have lucked out and won the new Light Bench Aggregate with a 182 and a couple of X's, I promise to do better next year.

I didn't do half bad for the first time out to Phoenix placing either 2nd or 3rd in four other aggregates, both offhand events, the X sticks and the Founders Match. And as always, I could have and should have done better.

I got my first real taste of what those shooting jackets are all about, two of the competitors were using them at the shoot. I can say honestly that they do give an unfair advantage to the shooter but I have been told that they are legal though. I am going to attempt to try to get a petition together to have them banned in the traditional matches and make it so they have to shoot against each other in their own catagory. I think the trophy should also be in the likeness of a shooting jacket too since the jacket does most of he work! Guess yall know how I feel about them now huh?

We came away with several trophies and had a blast and are lookiing forward to next year already. I will be making another rifle for the next time and have gathered a few parts for the project already. I found that Big 58 was great for most all of the work I did but I am wanting to make another Hawken just like it but in a 36 inch barrel instead of the long 42 inch. I owe lots of credit to John L Hinnant for helping to make Big 58 as accurate as it is and for the flawless way it goes off each time I pull the trigger. If I could just do my part! :hmm:

Sorry I missed a few of you out there, mosty likely because I was too busy trying to shoot and not paying attention. Hopefully next year we can get together though.

Here are just a few pics of the shoot I took, hope yall enjoy.

Here is OTHERN (Ron) receiving an award while there.

CIMG1819.jpg

Mel Weaver with the horn he scrimshawed for the raffle this year. Mel has donated a horn for the last 5 or 6 years to the shoot for the raffle. Mel is one great guy!

CIMG1804.jpg

All of the Texas gang at dinner, dang it was some good food!

CIMG1789.jpg

A look at the 100 yd range at the X Stick/Bench range.

CIMG1778.jpg

A practice target (too bad) at 100 yds I shot. Shot about 10 rnds into that group untill I got tired of shooting it.

CIMG1783.jpg

Some fellow there had these wind flags, Can you say Flag Envy?

CIMG1809.jpg

Wine tasting at the motel! Mel calls it Group Tightner!

CIMG1784.jpg

rabbit03

Rabbit03
Nice pic's. I'll post some of mine later this week when I get home and can down load them. By the way Rabbit03 won a pile of medals. It was nice to meet Rabbit03 and some of the other texans. They even had the chance to shot in Wyoming wind on Friday! :haha:

Othern

That was some danged fine shooting by you and Othern there Toney. Sorry I missed you guys while I was there.

Back