• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pic. of the last deer I shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Yeah, I know she was small, all my buddys give me a hard time for shooting little does but they taste so good and I can carry them out on my shoulders. It was -5 when I shot her, the warmest day this week,the shot was 80 or so yards .562 rb I cast in front of 85grs. of kik 3f and a wasp nest wad, patch lubed with olive oil which turned to grease at that temp. It hit her right square in the heart and broke the off side leg before exiting. She ran 70 yards before expiring even with a destroyed heart. The rifle is a virginia rifle with a c weight rice barrel and a caywood fowler lock, it is quick and accurate and I have yet to miss game with it. I butchered her outside at -13 before she froze up.

PC110054.jpg

Looks delicious even if the portions are small. :wink:
:hatsoff:

ps. I've shot a couple smaller ones than that. They do carry out easier. :thumbsup:

Listen any deer taken with a Flintlock if a Trophy. Don't let anyone fool ya. I was only able to get out one day and took a small one myself. One thing about them, they eat good! Grats on your deer. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about what the other guys say. Congratulations! And in that cold weather this was truly a fine trophy for sure! You earned the doe and then some! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on a successful hunt...especially under those conditions :hatsoff:

My hat's off to ya for even going out and hunting in that temperature!! It's a plus when you are successful. Good hunting. :hatsoff:

Texcl, Well done, looks like a real nice gun, with the lock on the correct side :thumbsup: Congratulations!!
Robby

I'm cooking up some back strap tonight to take to the station Christmas party, it's usually a big hit. We don't tell the wives what it is until they eat it. I've never come home with left overs. Thanks for all the nice comments, tommorrow is the last day of the season but I don't think I'll be able to hunt so I guess it was the last hurrah.

Good job. A small one frying in a pan is better than a large one running around the woods.

texcl said:
Yeah, I know she was small, all my buddys give me a hard time for shooting little does....
When they start that, just tell them how much better of a marksman you are to make that shot on a smaller target! :haha:

Congrats :thumbsup:

Back