• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pietta 1851 .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schreck5

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just saw a guy on u-tube that filled the half-cock slot on the hammer with j b weld. He said he always did that so the fired caps would not be raked off by the slot thus locking the cylinder up. What are your thoughts on doing this? Wanting to use it for squirrel hunting.

I'm thinkin' that he filled the sight notch on the business tip of the hammer, and not the half-cock notch in the hammer underside.

Filling the sight notch helps keep the fired cap from falling down between the hammer & the frame (preventing a follow-up shot) for those shooters who don't twist the gun to one side while cocking the hammer to throw the spent cap off to one side (ILO dropping the cap straight down).

I suspect he filled the "safety" notch on the hammer face--which would be used to engage corresponding pins on the cylinder--not the sight notch.

This is a common fix for "cap sucking."

Safety notch on hammer face! Not the half cock notch or the sight notch.

Don

That's the one. Thanks. Is this a pretty good cure for spent caps locking things up?

It helps,, but the Colts still have that problem.
There is a finesse move, an upward and side flip motion with the wrist when cocking the colts that helps toss the spent cap before it jams in the cylinder,, it's a practiced movement that I have yet to master. :idunno:
I guess I need to spend more time watching Jose Wales, :doh:

What make or model would be a better choice? I really want to avoid the loose spent caps locking the cylinder. And I am wanting a .36 cal.

I have a hard time imagining how that little skinny safety pin notch could have anything to do with pulling a cap off of a nipple on a Colt opentop.

I guess they think the cap extrudes itself into the little slot and then grabs onto it? Seems mighty unlikely to me.

I suppose if they think they are fixing it, it can't hurt anything unless their guns actually have safety pins (many don't) and they wanted to use them to prevent the cylinder from rotating when the hammer is down.
If they filled the slot, their safety pins wouldn't work.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about a similar problem with the Uberti Navy .36. In that thread I made reference to a couple of links which describe the placement of a small pin which keeps the cap from jamming the action. Unfortunately my thread was removed, as I must have referenced another ML site, evidently a no no. Back to the problem. I can not imagine in the heat of a battle years ago that the owner of a Navy .36 would have the time for a second shot after he started his wrist gymnastics to rid himself of those pesky caps.....he would be dead. There had to have been another solution.

I have yet to be attacked my an enraged wounded squirrel where I thought my personal safety was at risk.

I agree. Seems like there is something we are missing or overlooking. A flip-n-twist of the wrist would just be too time consuming. Anywho, I don't want to be bothered with it if a mean desperado squirrel confronts me!
Too bad about the 1851's cause I really like the looks of them.
So the Remingtons don't have this prob.?

osage orange said:
I agree. Seems like there is something we are missing or overlooking. A flip-n-twist of the wrist would just be too time consuming. Anywho, I don't want to be bothered with it if a mean desperado squirrel confronts me!
Too bad about the 1851's cause I really like the looks of them.
So the Remingtons don't have this prob.?

I have seen a video of an Uberti Navy being fanned, six shots, all clean.....using that pin I mentioned. Posting the link is evidently a no no.

My Second Generation Colt Navy shot good when I got it new, after I put Tresso nipples on it. Then I read about the Goon and sent it to him. He is the gunsmith that did the one you saw getting fanned in the video. After being "Goonerized" my Colt can be shot over a hundred times without any cleaning or wipe down of any kind. It has the cap rake (post) and never jams on caps and is a fine shooting machine. The hammer and trigger pull would have made Bill Hickok proud and it is smooth.

He has my '62 pocket police now and I'll probably send him some other Colts after I see his work. I didn't ask him what his turnaround time was but it has been a while, late November.

Back