• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1862

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgecity

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a new Pietta 1862 police, with extra cylinder. This week I finally got a chance to do a little shooting with it. This is a .36 cal, with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. Fit and finish on this Pietta is really very good. It has a nice deep even bluing with case hardened frame, brass trigger guard and brass backstrap. The only imperfection I could find was some minor file marls on the side of the trigger guard where it meets the frame, but you really have to look closely to see them. Timing is excellent with no measurable cylinder end play, and negligible side play at full cock. Trigger pull is also extremely good. This is also a very nicely balanced revolver, and it weighs in at a little under 3 pounds fully loaded. Tuesday I fired 48 rounds with no misfires and no jams. My load was 22 gr. of 3f Goex, .375 Hornady swaged ball, mutton tallow mix lube, and #11 Rem. cap. On Wednesday, I again fired 48 rounds with 1 misfire, and, again, no jams. The average group size of each 6 shot string was 3 3/16 inches at 25 yards, which is about as good as I'm capable of. At 25 yards, the Pietta shot 2" high. The front sight is a brass blade, wide enough to be appreciated by these aging eyes, but the rear notch needs widened a little to make it easier to center the front blade. All in all, I find this to be a nice little revolver with great handling characteristics, very handy to carry owing to its size and weight, and of obvious superior function and performance. Last night I cut down an extra Cabela's "Hickok" holster that I had on hand to accommodate the shorter barrel. I plan to pick up a matching belt pouch for the extra cylinder on my next visit. Guess I got a new "buddy".

I own a few Pietta revolvers and recently picked up a couple of .36 cals, one in brass the other in steel frame. I think they all function and shoot well. I personally don't see the need to spend over $200 for an Umberti. Would love to pick up the Pietta Star revolver some day. Have fun with yer new shootin iron!

Don

I think the 1862 Police Colt is about the prettiest Colt made.
All the smooth flowing lines of the Army, about half it's size and with a fluted cylinder to boot!

My only negative comment is because it is so light weight, it's hard for me to hold it steady enough to get good groups.
Sounds like you have that problem under control.
:)

Well, I have to admit to cheating a little bit Zonie. I'm right handed and shoot with a 2 hand hold. My left forearm was planted solidly against an upright post. In an 1870 gunfight, I guess I'd have to be careful to position myself near the hitching post.

The '62 is a great little gun, but the last one I played with only weighed about a pound and a half. My '51 and '61 Navys weigh a little under three pounds when loaded and are a bit easier to hold on target.

In 1975,an old beat up convertable pulled up in front of my gun shop, then pulled on down out of easy sight. A guy jumps out and comes to the shop leaving two others in the car. Naturally I've got my hand on my 3 screw Ruger .357. the guy has a brown paper bag in his hand and lays it on the counter asking if I buy guns. I ask to see what he's got and he pushes the bag to me. My partner is now covering him, discreetly, and I remove a near pristine '62 Colt from the bag. Had 98% original finish, so I ask him what he wanted for it, and he says twenty bucks. I offer fifteen and he takes it. Of course I call the cops and in the course of a week or so they tell me that it not reported as stolen anywhere they have checked, so it is mine. This '62 had a silver plated grip frame with the inscription, compliments of Col. Colt to a certain union high ranking officer. It had a dot under each matching serial number indicating that it originally came cased. It was a beautiful thing. Only damage was to the nipples, where someone had been dry firing it. All the case colors, and even the varnish on the grips was still good. Sold it to a collector for two grand and split it with my partner. Hated to part with it, but that seemed the only fair thing to do. Just about ten years ago I finally learned the whole story. The guy I bought it from, got it as payment for yard work from the Aunt of a friend of mine who was in the mid stages of Alzheimers. Her late husband was a collector and she had no idea of what she was doing or what his guns were worth. Once in a lifetime.

Back