• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta-Proressive Rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I was listening to a couple of guys talk about Remington 1858s.

One was bragging that his 1858 Pietta had progressive rifling and that it was more accurate than Uberiti's.

Normally accuracy is the person.

Was wondering, did Pietta makes any pistols with progressive rifling.

Pietta did make a '58 with progressive rifling though I don't know if it is still available. Their standard '58 offerings have conventional rifling. They called their shooter's model and Navy Arms also sold it with their logo on it. Supposedly it was "full size" and tuned to some extent. It did not have target sights as it was intended to be used in "as issue" matches. It was significantly more expensive than the regular '58's.

There are so many variables in shooting percussion revolvers that it would take a truly world class shot to discern any advantage of any type of rifling over the other. A really good trigger, uniformed chambers, and good timing and indexing of the cylinder in relation to the barrel are a whole different ball game, however.

The gun noted here was made by Pietta to compete in international competition and does, indeed, have progressive rifling and is a basic "identical" copy of an original Remington. If you're going to spend $750 on a percussion pistol and want to compete on the international circuit, that's your revolver. It's got the dovetailed front sight like the originals and that could be a plus. But we're talking about developing up special light loads to shoot world level targets. With bunny or yote loads, I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference in accuracy. Just remember, "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"...advice from Ma Williams! :wink: :haha:

This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask.

I have a .36 Uberti, and a .44 Pieta, both Remington style revolvers. They shoot nice, but nowhere near the accuracy of my .44 Pedisoli Le Page or my .50 Traditions Wm. Parker.

Are single-shot BP pistols inherently more accurate than BP six-shooters?

"Are single-shot BP pistols inherently more accurate than BP six-shooters?"

Yes.

Single shot pistols have better triggers than revolvers.

Single shots have adjustable sights.

Revolvers can be cranky, hand hold and grip firmness are critical. Some shooters put registration marks on the grips so they grip the same each time.

Some number each chamber, normally one is not as accurate as the others.

Revolvers the ball has to jump out of the cylinder, into the forcing cone and down the barrel. In a single shot all the ball has to do is get out of the barrel.

In the 1990s I bought three Pietta competition models in stainless steel directly from Italy, plus MANY extra cylinders.

Compared with their standard 1858, the differences are significant.
1. Progressive rifling.

2. Correct projectile diameter is .456 inch (.457 also works).

3. Lock work is completely different and does not fit or interchange with standard model.

4. Quality control is such that the extra cylinders interchange with all other cylinders on the two revolvers I have used (The third one is a back-up for the back-up).

5. Fit, finish, workmanship compares favorably with my Colt Python and Freedom Arms Model 97 - that is, it is far and away the most precisely assembled production percussion cap lock revolver I've experienced, by a significant margin.

6. Unfortunately, the revolvers cost approximately three times what their standard version cost. . . . You get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

Naphtali said:
it is far and away the most precisely assembled production percussion cap lock revolver I've experienced, by a significant margin.
That's basically it in a nutshell! It's probably the finest fitted revolver on the market...and you pay for the work, plain and simple.

Back