• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avid6gnnr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Previously it was suggested to me to use pillow ticking as patch, as opposed to using the pre-lubed 020 patch that I was using. I was getting absolutely no accuracy out of the 020 material. FYI, I shoot a .490 ball out of a Lyman Deerstalker. Anyways, I went out to buy some pillow ticking at a fabric store, due to the nonexistence of any specialy black powder shops within reasonable driving distance of home. I have no idea how thick the pillow ticking is that I purchased, but it has made my shooting much more accurate. Is pillow ticking pretty much all one uniform thickness, or does this vary?

It can vary quite a bit from one brand to the next. Wally sells it in a blue and red stripe that works ok for me as long as it's a tight fit. Also, go to Joannes fabrics and get a piece of #40 cotton drill. Tougher than the wall pillow ticking IMO.

Most fabric stores also have a selection of denim and cotton duck of various thicknessees and weights. Hobby Lobby has denim in 6.8 oz, 7 oz, 8 oz and 10 oz. Don't ask me how thick cause i don't even bother to measure any more. :haha:

Also, your large art supply stores (not art "hobby" stores) carry bulk artists canvas unsized and on a roll. Last time I bought it they had 8, 10 and 12 oz. I have a piece of the 12 oz here that dates back to when I usta measure it. It's labeled .023 for whatever that's worth!

Your Lyman barrel, if it's new, could probably use some artificial smoothing or you can also shoot it 300 or 400 times to smooth it out. :(

I bought mine at Joann Fabrics and I have no idea how thick it is. It is better than what I was shooting before, that's all I know. Wash it first - it kind of roughs up and opens the weave a little, makes it seem thicker. Now try less lube than you used to.

It can vary quite a bit from one brand to the next. Wally sells it in a blue and red stripe that works ok for me as long as it's a tight fit. Also, go to Joannes fabrics and get a piece of #40 cotton drill. Tougher than the wall pillow ticking IMO.

He speaks the truth! I've had great success with #40 drill cloth from JoAnn's. And once you find a bolt of cloth that works well for you, buy a lot of it. :grin:

I have used pillow ticking from Joann's. It measured .015 for me. Works great in all my rifles :thumbsup: .

Come on Guys buy and learn to use a micrometer either manual or digital. Use it to size balls ,inside barrels, patch thickness and all other kinds of stuff, its not rocket science. Bob

Hi bob, I have two mics and a dial caliper and use them for many things, but I quit bothering to measure patch material a long time back. Here's why; Two samples of patch material that measure the same won't necessarily work the same. There is a matter of the toughness of the thread, the density or thread count and the bulk of the thread. Some material, like the Joann #40 drill is thinner than the Wally pillow ticking. Even without measuring it, you can feel it. When I load a .535 ball with the joann's or the wally pillow ticking with all else the same, they both shoot ok. But, when I load a .530 ball with each and all else the same, the wally ticking blows even though it's thicker and the #40 drill shoots good. :shocked2:

I've had similar experiences with other patching material. So, I buy a lot of different stuff, keep track of what it is and where it came from, try it in various guns with various ball sizes and go with what holds together without regard to it's thickness.

It works for me but that's all I know! :)

Latest posts

Back