• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pin size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott adair

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am working on a tvm early virginia and was wondering about the size of the pin stock supplied. It came with 1/16" pin stock but I had seen some 3/32" stock in the totw catalog. Said it was easier to work with. What has everyone's experience been with this?

Scott

IMHO, the larger pins holes are easier to drill because of the bit will not bow as easily. However, the smaller pins look better to me. :thumbsup:

with the pins do ya leave them a tad shorter then the thickness of the stock or do ya file sand them flush....i was looking at some that were flush and some shorter....gitting ready to do mine.............bob

Filing the pin flush can be done, but gently doming the pin ends and recessing them slightly might be the better way.

By recessing the pin slightly, a drift gets a little headstart on alignment and will not slip and chonger your lumber. Also, on re-insertion, the pin will align easily and not wear or ovalize the hole in the wood.

If you use a plate or esceutchion, the slightly domed head (sitting flush) creates a little shadow ring, and adds depth and character.

This applies to a barrel retention pin, and thimble, triggerguard, and buttplate pins are usually flush, as they are not removed with any regularity.

:imo:

I taper ALL my pins. Make them out of nails. Usually, I drill the hole with #44, which I think is about .085". I then "turn" the nail in the drill press, filing it to fit. That way, the pin will be tight, and easy to tighten up should for whatever reason, they become loose.

When building, you should leave the pins a tad long to ease removal as you go. In the final shaping, you can flat the lock side and round the other side of the pins. The flat facilitates the use of a punch without causing it to slip into your wood. The rounded side lessens the chances of knocking out a chip of wood when installed. Don't even ask how I learned these lessons! :cry:

As to a bit short, that is no big deal as you can wipe a bit of bee's wax in there to preserve it and fill it.

CS

I use coat hangers, cut to a desired size, clean up with file, round of the ends and make them a tad shorter than the hole. I fill the hole with dirty beeswax after wards.

Only problem is Mrs. Blahman's clothes keep fallin on the floor! ::

I generally use 3/32 for barrel pins and 1/16 for ramrod thimbles and trigger guards. After I finish the rifle, I nub them off so they are a little recessed to give the pin punch a little to work with.

I usually use 1/16 pins and make them a little short on final assembly. I also put a slight bend in them in case for whatever reason they loosen up.

Hank

I use 5/64 dia music wire pins.
IMO, the 5/64 (.078) dia drill bit is stronger and less likely to break off in the stock than a 1/16 (.062) drill, especially when it hits the underlug and drills thru it.

Because 5/64 dia music wire is available at my local Hobby Shop, and it is precision ground to size, it fits perfectly in the hole made by the 5/64 dia drill bit.

The 3/32 (.093) drill would be stronger yet, but it also has a greater chanch of breaking thru the edge of the underlug (because of it's large size) if it's location is a little off.

Another nice thing about the 5/64 pins is you can use a 1/16 dia pin as a drift to remove them from the stock without the chanch of enlarging the pin hole. :)

I used the 1/16" pins on my kit... but I didn't drill through the underlugs and such while they were in the stock. I drilled through just enough to put a mark on them, then took the barrel/ramrodpipe/whatever out of the stock and drilled that hole separately. Then give it a slight chamfer with your countersink. Then, put it back in the stock, and finish drilling the rest of the way through the stock.

This way, you don't have problems with broken bits in your stock. :redthumb:

I also finally found a 1/16" punch at Sears... lifetime warranty, and man, that thing is awesome for removing 1/16" pins! I love it! Much better than trying to use a finishing nail or something like that... and if it ever breaks or anything, I just take it back to Sears and say, "Gimme 'nother one!" Gotta love that!

Hey those Sears 1/16 punches are tha berries! I bought abunch of em cuz they make greatleather punch awls for stitching as well! ::

Davy

Latest posts

Back