• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pinning Ramrod Ends

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When you pin the ramrod thimbles (on the end of the rod) what size pin do you like to use? I use 1/8' brass but was told it's too big. Does it really matter? Is 1/16 steel better? I use 3/8" hardwood ramrods.

1/16
DSC02741 (2).JPG
small brass nail (brad) and hot melt glue drill the hole then counter sink with slightly larger drill(both sides) drive nail/brad in cut and peen it flat into the counter sink

With a 3/8” rod that you’ve cut down a bit to fit the tip, you are left with significantly less than 1/8” of wood on either side of a 1/8” pin. Definitely epoxy or Tightbond III or similar but 1/16” is sufficient to keep the tip from causing you heartache if you happen to get a tight jag stuck in fouling and you have to give her a good tug....

I use brass brads about .064. I drill with a 1/16 drill. then pin with the brad. The drill usually will cut a few thousands over size. If it doesn't I put the brad in a drill chuck and hold a piece of sand paper around it to cut it down a few thousands.

According to what I read, a four penny nail is .072" in diameter. If it is used, a #49 (.073") drill bit should be used to drill the hole thru the metal end and the wood.

I would rather use a 1/16" brass rod and a standard 1/16" drill bit to pin my ramrod tips. The 1/16" brass rod can be bought at any good hardware store.

I might not have the right bit to drill my ramrod tip so I drill a small pilot hole, chuck a small nail up in my dril and finish drilling with my nail, perfect fit.

I don't know what size nail I use, I just grab a small one out of my bin.

You might say that nail is too big, countersinking and peening make it much bigger looking. Besides that, there is so much two ton epoxy holding that tip on it is very unlikely that it will ever come loose even if it wasn't pinned.

I glue field points on my wood arrows with two ton epoxy, I can shoot them thousands of times and the stay put. The only way to get one off is with a propane torch and a lot of heat.

pinned ramrod.JPG

Last edited:
The marking flags you can buy at hardware that have the flag on wire the electric and water companies use to mark there lines work great i use for ramrod pipes trigger guard nose cap and ramrod tip its a 1/6 wire

You might say that nail is too big, countersinking and peening make it much bigger looking. Besides that, there is so much two ton epoxy holding that tip on it is very unlikely that it will ever come loose even if it wasn't pinned.
Eric, I used to think that too, about the epoxy, until I had a thimble slip off with the jag on it right down by the breech end :doh: Now I pin everything I can get my hands on. ;)

According to what I read, a four penny nail is .072" in diameter. If it is used, a #49 (.073") drill bit should be used to drill the hole thru the metal end and the wood.

I would rather use a 1/16" brass rod and a standard 1/16" drill bit to pin my ramrod tips. The 1/16" brass rod can be bought at any good hardware store.
A1/16 is .0625 so nail is .0105 bigger the nail has a pointed tip. I use a pair of vice grips and turn it in to the hole. Fits real tight.

I had a unpinned ramrod screw me over once. Green Mountain rods have a shinny spot that looks like a pin but its not. I had a jag, and rod insert stuck in the bottom of a barrel and it was hunting season. I used glue in the rod and turned the gun upside down. Then got it back on the insert, and I left it to cure. The next morning I unscrewed the insert and screwed on my range rod solid brass, that I got it out. After that I pinned every rod.

Back