• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pistol hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicygunner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i was looking at some realy cool .50 cal percussion cap muzzleloading pistol. And i was wondering, can you hunt with one?

I dont think you can use this in Pa to hunt but you may in some other states

Here's where you can have some fun. If the law says muzzleloading WEAPON or GUN and minimum XX caliber for Deer.
Then THEORETICALLY you could pack a 50 caliber single shot as a back gun on deer or a cap and ball for opportunity hunting. The cap and ball could be used if you see a rabbit, ground hog, etc. Always check with your fish and game department and try to get a name of the officer that said "OK". Other officers may stop you and disagree but if you say, I called the office in XYZ city and spoke to officer Smith and he said it was ok- then you are probably home free. The 50 pistol on deer? Pretty minimal but if you are stump sitting and a deer comes in on the wrong side, just a few feet away- probably ok.

Kentucky doesn't have minimums on FPpSI, velocity or calibre, only that you can't hunt deer with rim fire cartridges. Thre are several around here who have taken whitetails with cap and ball revolvers, most typically Remington replicas and Ruger Old Army's. Mind you, these are always close shots 50 yrds or less, but they will do the job if you know the gun well enough to place the shot correctly.

Here in Colorado, many a rabbit has gone to the bar-be-que thanks to my kentucky .50 flinter pistol.

I recently did a little research into this and found that you cannot hunt in big game PA with a ML pistol period and only a gun of .40 caliber or less is legal for small game.
(b) It is unlawful to: (2) Hunt for deer or bear through the use of any one or more of the following:

(i) A muzzleloading handgun.

It is unlawful while hunting elk to:
(3) Use muzzleloading firearms other than long guns which are at least .50 caliber and propel a single-projectile that weighs at least 210 grains.

Here in WEST VIRGINIA is is legl to hunt deer with a muzzleloading pistol of .45 cal or larger....
but you cannot pack a rifle and a pistol at the same time..
if I cant have both....I would stick with my rifle...
*** WV SCROUNGER ***

If I were to hunt with one of my C&B revolvers there would be a few things I'd be sure of.

First, I was shooting about the largest charge I could in that particular weapon.

2nd, I would make sure to practice with it, shooting that load.

3rd. I would regulate myself to shots no further than 30 yards, broadside, standing still.

With this setup, I think I could cleanly take a Whitetail, (ours are pretty small. does 65#, bucks up to 100#) with one of my revolvers.

I'd personally use 30 grains FFFG, wonder wad, .454 roudball. AND have a rest.

Jake

The old saying here in the hills is:
Know yer weapon...its not the caliber...
it is Shot Placement.

the old saying that bigger is Better isnt always true..
( in some things maybe) But
I have seen BIG hogs put down with the little .22
on the farm.... and I have seen a .22 bullet completely richotet off a dudes skull one nite at the local pub....it dazed him a bit but he kept on fightin....
go figger........
yea, ya say......Only in WEST VIRGINIA...
I am gonna take my .45 CVA Flint pistol out this deer season ...Jest ta hear all the negative comments frum the other hunters.....
If I git a shot within 30-40 yds.( which is typical in the brush) I bet I will be draggin him out.....fur shur
I will post the pic here and in the LOCAL paper jest ta show the fellers that is is possible.... yep...no brag jest fact.....ye jest watch in see.....
heck... betcha I could bring a buck down with my .36 pepper box....course the shot would have to be within 10 yds...but I would nail him in the HEAD....
thar aint much us ole Hillbilliys kaint do when it comes ta survivin....yesir.....grow ma own terbaccy to...
kaint say I aint drunk a drop o moonshine neither....nuther[url] story...in[/url] fact quite a bunch of em.....yep....
____ sorry gitten off topic---better back otta here...

*** WV SCROUNGER *** :m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:
the thought just occurred to me......
the U.S. Army used to brag bout thier 1911 .45 ACP pistols being so deadly....it shot a 200+ grain bullet at 700+fps.. they said it was surly deadly at close range....

well... iffin ya know yer specs on the bp pistols ya know that a .44 is shootin over 700 fps....& jest bout the same bullet weight....sooooo
Black powder aint weak jest causin it's Black...
and smokeless powder aint all that more powerful jest cause it dont smoke....
just cause these are " replicas" dont mean they wont do the job. i would still feel more comfortable totin a rifle durin deer season...jest incase I get a LONG shot.
But .....would be nice as H_LL TO post a pice in the paper of a buck taken with a .45 flint pistol!!!!
jest cuz nobody does it any more........ya know?
......I read a personal biography a few months back.
YES....some Hillbillies Can read.....
writtn by " MESHACK BROWNING"

THIS Man lived in the 1790's...on the border of Maryland and West Virgina. In his journal he lists over 200 times that he kilt bears with only his knife. ALL the other bears were taken with his rifle of approx .45 cal.
so .....I guess peoply of that period used what they had on hand......had to eat ya know....
---- too long winded fer an old man aint i ? ---

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

I have hunted with handguns(cartrige type) It is a good challange, but check with Your State game Dept. You should have gotten a small manual with the basic hunting rules and seasons when You bought Your lic.There are sites on the net that list leagel weapons for each State.It's best to follow the game laws,most Wardens have a poor sense of humor when they catch a violater.It could cost You Your hunting rights for several years.

I bet you didn't have much left to put on the grill after hitting it with a 50.

Pistol hunting is OK here in AZ. Out-of-staters can get a 3 day hunt permit for $50. year long out-of-state permits are more.

Actually, I have shot a number of squirrel with a .50. There are 2 options:

Head which is a clean hit, clean miss or awful mess on the upper body.

Center body which is not as hard to do and leaves the shoulders and rump in tact. This is an under rated shooting opportunity. You simply wait for them to stretch out for this easy shot.

However, the rules in South Carolina are a bit strict on caliber size for small game.

CS

Hunting with a muzzleloading handgun can be a lot of fun. But one must remember that there are limitations to the firearm. You have to look at the barrel length, caliber, powder charge, projectile and distance you'll be shooting. What game? Small game? Deer? It can be done. I've shot deer and wild boar with one. But you have to be dead on with everything.

Back