• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pitted barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ace-Man said:
What do you do when you come across a less then perfect barrel? :hmm:

Clean it well and then try it out. You'd be surprised how little pitting effects accuracy.

I'd second that opinion, but based on a sample size of only one rifle. My most accurate rifle is a Traditions Hawken in .50 which I purchased used from a friend. In my less-than-skillful hands it has shot three shots into one hole at 50 yards. Thinking its bore must have been something special I shone a light into it. YUCK! Lots of pitting within the last 8" or so of the muzzle. I figured a barrel had to be perfect to shoot well. Now I stand corrected!

Clean it and if it shoots, great. If it don't, gather up the spent patches. If they are torn up try scrubbing the bore with 0000 steel wool wound on a wire brush. Rub it with this in 5 pass sessions until a double thick cleaning patch on a jag passes through the bore without tearing. A Scotch-brite 3M pad is an alternative to the steel wool.

I have an old Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant-with a Sako barrel that was rode hard and put away wet in WWII. Bore looks like the surface of the moon. Shoots 2" at 100 yards all day with slightly doctored open iron sights. Pitting just makes it harder to clean.

Stump - thanks for the added suggestions for cleaning up the pitting. I'm curious though... How do you physically get Scotchbrite pad into the barrel tight enough to do good rubbing, and then back out again?

The only pads I have are pretty thick. Do you use the same technique as with steel wool, ie cut a slightly oversize round piece of scotchbrite then push it with a wire brush?

Picked up a "wall hanger" TC with a pitted bore.
Gave it the "shock" treatment then went after it with steel wool, scotch type sanding pads and lots of oil.
Barrel is not the smoothest I've ever seen but it shoots better than I can. About 2" at 50 yards. I'll take that anyday! :wink:

Back