• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plains Pistol and Cottontails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pab1

Outcast
Reaction score
I saw a few bunnies today while deer hunting and it got me looking forward to hunting them soon. I usually go after them once big game season is over. Here are a couple I took last December with a .54 cal Plains Pistol I built. 20 grains of FFF Goex has worked well for bunnies and grouse.

4th20Outing20013.jpg

You're evidently an excellent shot w/ a pistol...not many can do that.....Fred

BillinOregon said:
What kind of ranges are we talking about for shots at cottontails?

I usually still hunt around heavy patches of cover where they hang out. Most shots are 20-25 yards. I do get busted by more bunnies than I bring home though.

Thanks guys!

Nicely done, looks like a good time. Were they shot with RB or shot? My son is having Tip Curtis make him a 20ga smoothbore. He intends to use it to take a turkey. robin :wink:

Deputy Dog said:
Were they shot with RB or shot?

I use a roundball. It likes the same .530 ball, .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Bumblin' Bear Grease that my GPRs like. With the light powder charge it easily does enough damage to put them in the pot without tearing them up.

what "breed" of rabbits are those? They look big for cottontails, small for jacks. Ears look about right for cottontail though. I have taken hundreds of cottontails from my youth. Some with hand guns, some with sling shots, some with pellet guns, many with shot. My 2nd. most hunting fun after grey squirrels.

Back