• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plugging the touchhole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still like the round toothpicks broken into thirds. If you collect enough of the middle sections, they can be used to start a very small fire. For practice, remove the flint and replace it with a wedge of wood or half of an old typewriter eraser. Don't waste the edge of a sharp English flint! :thumbsup:

1776Patriot said:
For practice, remove the flint and replace it with a wedge of wood or half of an old typewriter eraser. Don't waste the edge of a sharp English flint! :thumbsup:

Scrap wood works good for this, watch the grain though, if the grain is going side-ways the wood could break off...

moore2.jpg

If you are pan-firing practicing, the gun better be empty, so there is no need to plug the vent, I use the quill end of a discarded bird feather when I need to plug my Bess...

Folks used to use feathers of small to medium sized birds like a jay. The feather material is strong and flexible. Finding a feather in the vent of an old flintlock was often the first indication that there was a charge in the barrel. GC

For odd reasons I have barn owls at work. Their smaller feathers serve well and have a cachet of rustic utility.

-Ray

Thanks 1776Patriot, Packdog, Musketman, guncobbler, and SimonKenton. As far as plugging the vent, I was thinking of doing that when pan-firing with prime only to keep breech area clean. Obviously don't need to when practicing with unloaded gun using hardwood (or half a clothes pin) in place of flint.

If your state laws are like ours, and they may be Federal laws, possesing any type of Hawk, Owl, or Eagle feather is illegal, so be careful with those feathers. A friend of mine spent a year in Lompoc Federal prison for possesion of a Bald eagle feather.

Rebel said:
If your state laws are like ours, and they may be Federal laws, possesing any type of Hawk, Owl, or Eagle feather is illegal, so be careful with those feathers. A friend of mine spent a year in Lompoc Federal prison for possesion of a Bald eagle feather.

It's a federal law. Only ones who can legally possess them are a few members of various native-American tribes, and some licensed bird handlers. You don't want to get caught with owl or hawk, and especially not eagle feathers.

------------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

A grouse tail feather will work fine, and as an added bonus, you can use the tip as a broom to sweep powder from the pan...

rice010076f_b.jpg

Twisted One,

Soooo right! I am the "lucky" designated caretaker for a slew of oddball research animals. Besides my faves (the rats) I also have a working menagerie of monkeys, frogs, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils and goldfish. I thought I'd miss the 4 foot monitor lizards. I was wrong! That is where we set up the owl roost. They do shed some feathers and regrow them, but I tell folks not to start walking around with them. Some feds arrest first and ask questions later.

-Ray :hmm:

Latest posts

Back