• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

POI higher and lower....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Speaking of (" when shooting up or down hill yer arrow or bullet will rise....so ya need to aim lower then you would on flat ground" says White Beefalo)
At the range yesterday I noticed, in 8 rounds of 3 ea, that the 385 gr Hornady HBHP had a 3/4" HIGHER poi at 25 yards then the lighter NON-hollow point 370 gr T/C Maxi-Ball.
WHY would the hevier less aerodynamical bullet hit higher? Aaaaaannnnd would that be constant at 100 yards?
I know its a hair cutter but physics amuses me untill my brain gets full. :wink:

Heavier bullets will generally impact higher because they are in the barrel longer and are effected more by the recoil/barrel rise. This is true only to a certain point for each given load then the bullet will drop more because of the added weight. This is all dependent though on the load. IE if you increase the powder enough on the heavier bullet you can get the same POI to a certain range but eventually gravity always wins!! I have seen this many times in modern and primitive arms.

Where is this break even point? Depends on the load altitude humidity etc etc. The best way to know is to do some more shooting!!

Yes I would agree that result is from recoil. As for aiming lower when shooting uphill that is also correct, not because the bullet shoots high, but because the bullet will travel upwards through the vitals. When shooting downhill you need to aim high for the same reason.

Back