• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Point Blanket Capote

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In response to the mass influx of information in regards to OhioRamm's post on capotes, I wanted to just show how easy they are to make in case other members are curious about constructing one of their own.

I've had a four point blanket that's been dying to become a capote for some time, this isn't a real HB point blanket but another brand called a trapper blanket. Still 100% wool made in England. I do have much hesitation in cutting up my real HB blanket as would allot of folks. :bow:

This is the template I've used multiple times in making capotes, works extremely well and the measurements can be tailored to fit any sizes. Personally these measurements fit me perfectly being 5'6". The only alterations I make are the sleeve lengths and no fringe. I personally like my sleeves long, gives me plenty material to roll and hem with a decorative stitch. Fringe is also easy to add, however I prefer none as it likes to catch on everything here in the eastern woodlands.

x42E5jc.jpg

Here are my pieces cut and ready to be sewn, as you can see there isn't much to it. IMO a capote is a great first project for someone new to sewing, it allows allot of safe space for learning stitch work. All sewing is done by hand with waxed linen, a variety of stitching methods can be utilized from a simple whip stitch to a running stitch. I personally prefer a blanket stitch, very good and strong garment stitch and easy to do fast.

eNyaDB7.jpg

Semi finished product, in total I have approximately five hours from start to finish. All that's left for me to do will be a decorative blanket stitch with dark blue or red wool yarn. Some people utilize the colored yarns as their main form of securing the pieces, that's fine and will cut your time in half. However I'm all about durability and my equipment lasting, so I always go the extra mile to ensure it, takes more time but it's an enjoyable process for me.

HYuzuuF.jpg

vjqZ4io.jpg

Hope this will provide some beneficial information for anyone interested in making their own capote, you can do it! I wore this while making breakfast this morning, extremely comfy and warm. Sky's the limit to your finished capote! A good tip if your nervous, make a template from an old sheet or blanket before cutting your precious material! :hatsoff:

Thanks for posting this bud, it's very helpful to see it all laid out like that. Hopefully next time I see you, I'll have made my first capote :)

I taper the sleeves instead of the straight tube, I was told tapered is closer to the original HBC capote and I don't care for that big roll of extra fabric down near my wrist/hands,, especially when messing around an open fire.
And I add a circle of canvas inside at the seams of the underarm as reinforcement at the point of most movement.

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I can see how you did it better with the step by step pictures. Great work on your capote. Where did you get the trapper blanket from if you don't mind me asking? I tried to find one but was unsuccessful.

Good points on the reinforced areas, I did double my layers just not with canvas, which the more I think of it I may just add canvas anyways. The sleeves are not bad, I personally like the way they fit. I did taper the sleeves on the last capote I made, not entirely happy with the fit, which I didn't account for layering of my clothing. All personal preferences I guess, good thing about custom tailoring!

I found the blanket locally, be ready to fork out a good chunk even for a used one. I got extremely lucky with this particular blanket. My 3.5 point Hudson Bay blanket I bought from an auction. With your eyes open they can be had.

I found the blanket locally, be ready to fork out a good chunk even for a used one. I got extremely lucky with this particular blanket.

I sometimes prowl antique shops, flea markets and yard sales. Keep yer eyes open and some real bargains can be found. I have several blankets that represent only a few dollars investment. I wash in cool cycle with Sport Wash and tumble dry on cool. They always come out soft and fluffy. And, I agree, for ones first sewing job, at the price, doing so on an HB blanket would be risky.

Yes, I wouldn't advise anyone cutting up a real HB blanket as a first... Honestly, with as many years as I've been sewing I still wouldn't do it. There's just something to be said about a HB blanket keeping you warm by the crackling fire at night. :)

Back