• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder charge for .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just started messing with my .50 cal Austin halleck rifle. What do you guys use for a hunting load in .50? Last year used my .54 with 60 gr and learned the hard way that it's not a good hunting load. Don't want to make the same mistake again. Do to where I live I only have 3f powder and cannot get 2f not sure if it makes that much difference . Thanks in advance

I shot a buck and hit it in the shoulder bone. It shattered the shoulder but expended all energy and did not penetrate any further. It was not a killing shot, granted I hit right where I was aiming and if I had made a lung shot it probably would have been a different story. That is it is , I don't want to go through that again. Reloading and watching the deer thrash on the ground blatting was not enjoyable

The more or less standard deer load has worked out to be 80 grains of 3f in all my 50 cal rifles. Flat shooting (+1" @ 50yds, 0 @ 75yds, -4" @ 100yds), and really smashes through deer. I'd be just as happy at 70 grains or 90 grains if a rifle liked that charge better.

We do lung shots rather than shoulders, but my wife's standard load from her 54 cal is 60 grains of 3f. She holds the range to 50 yards, and we've never recovered a ball.

I started with 80 grains of 3f but found accuracy the same and more tolerable to shoot with 70gr. It's not the most accurate but totally capable of minute of deer , especially since I try to keep my shots under 75yards.

It is just as important if not more that you be confident with you load you are shooting. Raise it to where you are confident that you and your gun will do it's job. If it's 70 or 80gr or even more then go with that.

BrownBear said:
The more or less standard deer load has worked out to be 80 grains of 3f in all my 50 cal rifles. Flat shooting (+1" @ 50yds, 0 @ 75yds, -4" @ 100yds), and really smashes through deer. I'd be just as happy at 70 grains or 90 grains if a rifle liked that charge better.

We do lung shots rather than shoulders, but my wife's standard load from her 54 cal is 60 grains of 3f. She holds the range to 50 yards, and we've never recovered a ball.

I get the same points of impact as Brown Bear out of my Lyman GPR with 70 grains of 3f.

Back