• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder comparisons.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These were shot today over the Oehler 35P.
Firearm.
Jeager .58 Colrain 'B' round bottom grooved, 33" swamped flinter.
Lehigh Valley Lube.
Hornady r.b .570
.018 pillow ticking.
NULLB priming powder.
Distance 75 yards.
Distance from the muzzle (screens) 15 feet.

100 grains Elephant 1231 fps.
100 grains Schuetzen 2fg 1332 fps.
100 grains Goex 2fg 1336 fps.
100 grains Swiss 1.5fg 1369 fps.

Upping the Scheutzen to 120 grains gained an ave. of
1459 fps.

Best ccuracy was 100 grains of 1.5 Swiss for 1.5" at 75 yards and the final sight adjustment (with a file) prints 2" high.
The 120 grain load of Schuetzen opened groups to 4".
All 100 grain laods allowed a 5 shot string without swabbing with the GLARING excpetion of ELEPHANT. I had to POUND #2 downbore! Form then on it was swab with Elephant.
The 120 grain load of Scheutzen produced nasty fouling and that too had to be swabbed to allow seating the patched roundball.
The 100 grain loads allowed sucessive shots without swabbing.
I was developing a HUNTING load, not a traget laod. This gun is capable of 1" at 75 yards.
Shceutzen and Goex were about equal in fouling, velocity and accuracy with the 100 grain load.
The MOST important results of this test was the fact that for the 1st time EVER for ME with a flinter was that I loaded and fired THIRTY shots without a misfire. No hiccup of any kind.
No vent pick used.

Ignition with NullB was nearly instant.
I pulled the lock but this wasn't necessary. She was clean as a whistle.
Nice work Birddog 6! :redthumb: :thumbsup: ::

Maxiball...

That is a very interesting range report. Since I shoot a cap locked .58 caliber green mountain barrel 1:70 twist with 100 grains it gives me an idea of what the projectile is really doing out there.

Maxiball- those velocities are about identical to what I got back in the 70's and early 80's in the .58. Well, so much for powder being much more powerful these days.
: There seems to be a big jump from .54 cal up to .58 cal & larger, in pressure and velocity. That is, the .54 developes much more pressure and velocity than does the .58 and larger bores.

Maxi: Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I spent the entire day at the hunting camp getting it ready for deer season & etc. We saw over 30 turkeys today & one white turkey hen in one bunch of 9.

Small world...when I finished hanging a treestand today I was walking along the edge of a grown up field putting up fresh Posted signs and spooked a flock of turkeys myself.
This is a flock I always see around this farm I hunt but hunted them 3 Saturday's this past spring, heard them each morning, but never could coax one in for a shot

Latest posts

Back