• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jappo

Poco Loco
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
On these powder horns, how were they used? Did they just take the plug off and poured. I would guess if you used it a lot you more or less would know what you were doing. Or did they take the time to pour into a measure?
I have this and its been tapped for a push button spout.

Always. Always pour the powder into a measure before pouring it down the bore.
One old trick I heard about was to hold a round ball in the palm of your hand and pour just enough powder to cover it. Then put that down the bore.
I suppose in the heat of a battle with Comanches a man would probably pour directly from his horn, but that could result in overloads or squib loads.
During the American War Between the States rifled muskets were picked up off the battlefields. Some of them were found to be loaded with multiple loads one on top of another. Apparently, the excited soldier would load, aim/point and jerk the trigger, but without putting on a percussion cap. In the heat and noise of battle he didn't realize that his weapon didn't fire, so thinking that it did, he loaded again. Some of those picked up muskets were fully loaded breech to muzzle! Imagine what would happen if the guy did remember and cap his gun for the next shot.
Always use a powder measure! Unless, of course, you are using paper cartridges.

Always. Always pour the powder into a measure before pouring it down the bore.
One old trick I heard about was to hold a round ball in the palm of your hand and pour just enough powder to cover it. Then put that down the bore.
I suppose in the heat of a battle with Comanches a man would probably pour directly from his horn, but that could result in overloads or squib loads.
During the American War Between the States rifled muskets were picked up off the battlefields. Some of them were found to be loaded with multiple loads one on top of another. Apparently, the excited soldier would load, aim/point and jerk the trigger, but without putting on a percussion cap. In the heat and noise of battle he didn't realize that his weapon didn't fire, so thinking that it did, he loaded again. Some of those picked up muskets were fully loaded breech to muzzle! Imagine what would happen if the guy did remember and cap his gun for the next shot.
Always use a powder measure! Unless, of course, you are using paper cartridges.
I can understand that, but say everyday use, they carry a measure with them?. I know Hollywood they just take of the plug and pour. No telling where they got that from.

Use the measure. Those little stoppered tubes were used. The literature will identify the measures as a charger. The everyday use of a rifle for consistent accuracy required a consistent charge of powder and that means a measure was used. And, yes, as @Rancocas is correct, one form of measure of a charge was to place a round ball in the palm of your hand and just cover the ball with powder. That does work to about a +/- difference of 5 grains for 50 cal and larger balls. Best demonstration I saw was when Clair Trevor loaded a rifle in the movie "Allegheny Uprising".

Back