• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Power Engraver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One of the things about watching a pro is they can make a task look deceptively easy.

A number of years ago, I found that a engraving tool in the hands of the inexperianced can be a dangerous thing.
I engraved the sideplate and toeplate on one rifle I made and decided my hands were those "inexperianced hands" and haven't done it sence. My biggest problem was controlling the depth of the cut to get a nice smooth even groove.

Watching a pro using a power engraver has given me the bug to try it again, but the cost of the thing is equal to the price of a complete box of rifle parts.

Have any of you had experiance with operating a power engraver, and does it make the process any easier than the guiding and tapping by hand method, or is it like putting a chainsaw in the hands of a 5 year old?

Zonir, a couple of years ago, I bought one of those little 'vibrator' engravers that they push for putting I.D. info on possessions....thing dances all over the place..I can just about get my initials, legible on stuff by using as much control as I can muster...I'm guessing your talking about a much better quality item, but wonder about how easy any of them can be controlled...Hank

I have a Gravemeister or whatever they call it. It is electric driven compressor & air opperated engraving tools. I have had it for bout 3-4 years & it is under my work bench. Tried it one time & gave it about 15 min. and put it away ! ha ha ! :eek: Like anything else, it is as good as the operator & the practice the guy wants to give it... I just don't take the time to get it out & use it because I don't do much engraving. The guy I bought it from is a Awesome hand engraver & he didn't want to relearn either, so he still does his all by hand also.... Most likely if you are a good engraver & experienced, it would come to you much more easily than a novice learning to do it. Maybe some day I will give it another try...

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Hunting /Skinning Knives

Zonie,,in 1991 I attended Yavapai College engraving class.
I graduated professional and bought the Gravermeister set complete. It cost, at that tyme. $1400. The course took three semesters and is very complete. It is doubtful that a person can teach themselves with a few minutes of scratching. It takes quite a while to "get the feel" and a teacher sure helps,,but you mentioned that you have a good one. If he has the tyme he can be a big help..It takes a lot of practice..I should practice more than I do and only fire it up when I have a couple parts to do..Hope this helps you.....Wulf

Zonie,,sorry I got mixed up with Bird dog's answer..he is the one with a teacher...There are books on the subject but they are very expensive. Possibly you could contact the college and have them send you the text...Long shot. The key to engraving is the tool. It must be properly sharpened to have any success and encourage you to continue..Hope this helps.....Wulf

A couple years ago I bought a Ngraver kit new from Brownells. It came with the motor, foot control, hand piece, and I forget what else. I searched around on the internet and bought a powerhone with a deluxe sharpening attachment and a used engravers ball. I suppose all told I have about $600-700 invested in the setup. Completing college and than making the decision to go to graduate school kept me from having the time, or place to make proper use of it. I'm just starting to have the time to play with it now and it is a remarkable tool. I messed around with hand gravers years ago and found them to be difficult to control, the same is true with this tool, but the potential is there to go much further in a shorter amount of time. I don't seem to have any trouble cutting straight lines at constant depths, plus it makes cutting scrolls quite easy. It still needs practice, and I'm not going to tackle a gun project for some time, but if your serious about wanting to engrave your guns and not spend years learning hand tools I think this is an ideal solution.

hey zonie, i use a gravermeister and i works well, but
you need to practice alot . this tool works fast and
can get away from you quickly. you need an engraving ball,
because to do flowing cuves like leafage and voluts
you must cut with on hand and turn work with other. takes
a bit of skill, but one can only hand chase that one
can draw. it's best to learn hammer and graver work
before atempting power engraving, because not every thing
"parts" can be done with the power engraver.on a gun... :m2c:

Back