• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powerful enough?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a newby at ML hunting for deer, but have decided to hit the woods this year. I am excited about it... I haven't been in the deer woods in years and BP shooting has inspired me to rekindle that interest.

I got out today and checked loads for both my .50 and .62. My .50 cal. New Englander shoots very well with 75gr. 3F and a .490 rb in .010" patch. I just wanted to make sure that is a powerful enough loading for even a big deer, out to 75 yards? (assuming proper shot placement, or course) Or, should I be loading a heavier powder charge? I settled on 75gr. because the impact was bang on at 50 yards and I fired 3 shots that were almost all touching each other. :grin:

My .62 shoots well with 80gr. 3F and a .600" rb in .015" patch. I am sure that is plenty of punch for the same purpose?

Thanks!

My .62 shoots well with 80gr. 3F and a .600" rb in .015" patch. I am sure that is plenty of punch for the same purpose?

I can tell you my .12 ga with a .715 ball and 82gr of FF hits like a freight train. Don't think you'll have any problem with that .62 load.

I would say yes, seeing as how I used a .440 with 75 grs of (2)FFg in my first gun. And that did a number on a spinal column at around 100 yards.

Either one will get it done.

How about you get one with each.

NUFF talking, head for the woods !!!

Good Luck

My day-in day-out load for hunting with my GPR 50 is 80 grains of 3f under a PRB. That's cuzz it shot a little better with 80 than with 75. If it had shot better with 75 than with 80, 75 grains would be my day-in, day-out load. Judging by your accuracy results, I'd say you found your load. Deer just aren't going to be able to tell the difference between the two.

That 75 grain charge is plenty. Unless your barrel is longer than 36" 75 grains of 3F is about all you can effectively burn in a .50 cal. barrel anyway.

Baron: Keep in mind your history lessons. Buffalo Bill Cody used a .50-70 rifle to win his name by shooting more buffalo in one day than did his competition. That gun was shooting a much heavier slug- probably in the 550 grain weigh range, than your PRB. That means your 75 grain charge is going to be pushing your RB or light conical FASTER than his did, and he killed a lot of buffalo at much longer ranges. Keep in mind the weight of the slug, and then look up its Ballistic Coefficient. The BC tells you how well the bullet flies through the air, and how well it maintains its Muzzle Velocity.

Trust me when I tell you that the Big, half-inch slug you are shooting is like a freight train bearing down on your game. On a light skinned animal like deer, it may just go completely through the body from one end to the other, if you shoot it in the chest as its facing you.

Do some comparison penetration tests wih some known modern rifles used to hunt the same game you want to hunt with your gun. You will find that these BP rifles, loaded with EITHER PRB or conical have a lot of power.

You nailed it when you said "shot placement." You'll be fine with your .50, obviously you know what you're doing but just want to double-check.

Purty good trait :hatsoff: hope you get a big 'un.

Spot

Should be fine. I use a little more (80 gr 2Fg) in my .50 New Englander but you should still be in the venison with a solid lung shot. Also depends how you're determining the weight. A volume measure calibrated to throw 75 gr of 2Fg will throw a bit more 3Fg by actual weight for the same volume. Smaller kernels pack in closer together. Your "75" may actually be closer to 80 gr by weight.

An interesting point, Stumpkiller. I never thought of that but it is perfectly logical. :hmm: Yes, I'm using one of those adjustable brass volume measures.

That'll get the job done no problem. In fact make sure there ain't another deer standing behind the one you're shootin. I use a .50 GPR for nearly all my hunting and I can tell you your load will definately git-r-done

Thanks fellas. I've been out twice now. We were out Monday morning in the snow and my buddy shot a dandy 9 point. Real old deer - no top teeth. Definitely one for the sausage pile. :haha: He did it with a "modern" ML, so it doesn't count, right? LOL.

I went out again for a trudge in the snow and sat for a while. No luck, and not many new tracks in my spot. We're going back to my buddy's spot tomorrow. I have a doe tag, and am starting to think I will fill it if I get the chance.

Stumpkiller said:
Should be fine. I use a little more (80 gr 2Fg) in my .50 New Englander but you should still be in the venison with a solid lung shot. Also depends how you're determining the weight. A volume measure calibrated to throw 75 gr of 2Fg will throw a bit more 3Fg by actual weight for the same volume. Smaller kernels pack in closer together. Your "75" may actually be closer to 80 gr by weight.

That brings up a good question......what powder are most volume powder measures designed for? I've been using a brass T/C with FFg for over 30 years, but never have weighed a load to see if it matches up with the setting it's at. I always thought that B/P charges were supposed to be by volume, not weight.

Back