• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB for elk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyhunter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been hunting with a 50 cal TC Renegade for deer for a few years now and really enjoy it. I use .490" ball. I want to get a nice flint gun kit to build myself. The 50 cal is great for deer. But I would like to be able to use this gun for elk if I ever am fortunate enough to draw an elk tag.

PA game regs require a min weight of 210 grains and min caliber of 50. The .490" ball is too light. A .530" ball is heavy enough to make PA regs, but is it sufficient for elk or should I go to a .570" ball?? Would the .53 or .57 be overkill for deer? I guess I want multi use out of this... Is that a good idea?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The .58 would be my choice. You can do lots of things with a 50 and a 58. I have couple .58 cal and want a .62. You will more than likely get a 54 in the future as the bug gets hold of you. You don't need a .58 for deer but I don't think it is over kill at all. Larry

I love my .58 on deer here. 90g 3F with a .024 deer tallow/bear oil lube patch and .570 ball is bad medicine on them. :grin:

The .54 will make weight and make meat. :) Have killed and seen killed many elk with the .54 prb at anywhere from 80 to 120 grains of ff or fff. But, a .58 would be a great gun too and gives you a little more space between calibers. IOW, it's more differenter. :) There is also the .62 to consider. None of them are "too big" for deer.

I've never understood "too big" when applied to caliber choice. I've killed many, many whitetail with the .530 RB. On elk my instincts tell me .54 would work .58 ould be better and .62 { what I'm using on a new elk rifle } better yet. Look at it in these terms. In most midwestern states the 12 gauge rifled slug, much bigger than even the .62, is the standard fair. Is a 12 too big?? :hmm:

John

happyhunter said:
I have been hunting with a 50 cal TC Renegade for deer for a few years now and really enjoy it. I use .490" ball. I want to get a nice flint gun kit to build myself. The 50 cal is great for deer. But I would like to be able to use this gun for elk if I ever am fortunate enough to draw an elk tag.

PA game regs require a min weight of 210 grains and min caliber of 50. The .490" ball is too light. A .530" ball is heavy enough to make PA regs, but is it sufficient for elk or should I go to a .570" ball?? Would the .53 or .57 be overkill for deer? I guess I want multi use out of this... Is that a good idea?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Im all about "bigger is gooder" and so would NOT speak out agenst the big bore balls like a .58 or .62 or... BUT....
As I understand it the .54 has an almost Optimal combination of trajectory and velocity (lacking in the big bore's) and energy ( the bigger ball then the .50) ... I have found it a VERY lethal caliber and wouldnt hesitate to smak an elk with it! Just :2

In my book, shoot as big a ball as you can stand the "KICK" of.........I like 400 plus grains of lead for big game. If you have a quartering shot, I can break the leg and still destroy the vitals.

and......you always need a new rifle!

Shoot Straight.

Since you're getting a new caliber anyway, my suggestion would be:

1st Choice = .58cal
2nd Choice = .54cal

I've accumulated them both and love the .58cal...I'm skeptical about ballistics charts comparing the .54 to the .58...because having taken game with each of them for a number of years now, the .58cal clearly has what I call a "Whompability Factor" that the .54cal has never impressed me that it has.

To be clear...not putting down the .54cal...have two of them in the house...just saying of the two the .58cal is more of a powerhouse.

My vote for elk-

1st-62 cal

2nd-58 cal

more mass on target-what's to argue! If your using traditional iron sights.

I'm about ready to jump out of my skin- my 58 and 62 cal. barrels are due here any day.I was hoping to use them this week during the muzzle loader deer season. Good luck in your choice. Either one will work for whitetails.

I've accumulated them both and love the .58cal...I'm skeptical about ballistics charts comparing the .54 to the .58...because having taken game with each of them for a number of years now, the .58cal clearly has what I call a "Whompability Factor" that the .54cal has never impressed me that it has.

Yep, "whompability" is a very real thing. The added killing power provided by the larger ball's momentum is all out of proportion to the sacred foot pounds of energy way of looking at it. A .54 has the same degree of whompability over the .50, IMO.

marmotslayer said:
Yep, "whompability" is a very real thing. The added killing power provided by the larger ball's momentum is all out of proportion to the sacred foot pounds of energy way of looking at it. A .54 has the same degree of whompability over the .50, IMO.
That's the way I see it...otherwise:

The .45cal would be as good as the .50 and there'd be no need for a .50cal;

The .50cal would be as good as the .54 and there'd be no need for a .54cal;

The .54cal would be as good as the .58 and there'd be no need for a .58cal;

Etc...

I have both a 54cal and a 58cal. I love them both and still have not decided what one I like better. :hmm: I guess I like them equally well.

Now, I've never, ever killed an elk so anything I have to say about it is theoretical and personal preference and not from experience. I've owned and shot every caliber from .32 to .58 and will soon have a .62. I like the .54 and the fact that it can be given a bit more velocity than the .58. This means recoil is milder with about the same power level. Notice I didn't say it killed elk BETTER than the .58, just that with everything considered it would be my choice. Cheaper to feed as well. I agree that there is no such thing as "overkill". After all, there is only one degree of dead.

"I have both a 54cal and a 58cal. I love them both and still have not decided what one I like better. I guess I like them equally well."

Either one will work on Elk....To Happyhunter.I would suggest 80 yds or so as a range limit if you have not shot Elk or been around them much. Practice one life sized cutouts to get a feel and sense of distance Elk look a lot closer than they are if you are not familiar with them, at 80 yds you can have the ball going fast enough to have the same energy as a slower .58 ...lots of ways to think it over, If I were using a rifle I would use the .54, I have used a .50 in the past, if I ever get the Elk bug again it will be a .58 smoothbore. You have the tools just practice so the distance judgement is dead on and you will do well with either gun.

Go w/a .58 and never look back if elk are in the picture.

GOod luck and post that elk pic when you get drawn.

So would a .50 cal prb work for elk and black bear inside 40 yards with a heavy powder charge? (90-100 grains)

"A 50 cal shooting 80 grains of powder under a Patched round ball will kill any Elk on the face of the earth"

I am lead to believe that in Idaho and a few other places there are Elk that a .50 or even larger PRB will bounce off of...even deer in some places :shake:

If I was going to use a 50 on Elk it would be at least more powder. And prob a conical. A good hit with 80 grains and prb will kill a elk. But a ,54 with prb and a good dose of powder is a lot better.I haven't seen any bullet proof deer around here but have seen a lot of wounded ones. Don't take a knife to a gun fight. Larry Wv

Latest posts

Back