• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRBs out of .54cal Smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Decided to get a backup Flintlock set up for deer hunting this fall...cobbled together a gorgeous Hawken stock, a new style lock, and a new GM .54cal smoothbore barrel...a second one I had picked up.

A few years ago I got one of these barrels and zeroing it at 50 yards found that it shot like a rifle with 70/80/90grns Goex 3F, .018” pillow ticking, and Hornady .520" ball.
.530"s were just to hard to start, had to use a thinner .015" patch which wouldn't survive the 3F fire...tried an OP wad, but that caused fliers...then discovered the .520" load above and it was outstanding.
After filling my tags with it that deer season I changed it's set up to shot loads and never used it with PRBs again.

Just took this second outfit to the range and initially assumed the same load would drop right in...not so...ended up having to use .58cal x .020" patches and then this 2nd barrel just started chewing ragged holes in the target...and 40 shots before I ever had to touch the black English flint.

After its all said and done, it’s hard to take issue with an out-of-the-box Flintlock like this for not a whole lot of money.

2StockAsmRightCropped.jpg

4BarrelForearmRightCropped.jpg

Pretty stock roundball and glad it shoots well also. Hope your new .58 makes meat for you this year! :thumbsup:

Since I figured out this particular barrel needed a .020" patch with the .520", I ran back up to the range this morning and tried my original powder charge of 90grns Goex 3F...same tight group as 80grns...figured it would but wanted to "see it" and not assume it.

So .58cal Virginia, or .54cal Hawken...the deer are in serious trouble this fall.
(I still wish there was a workable 'paintball' though)
:wink:

roundball said:
(I still wish there was a workable 'paintball' though)
:wink:

I suspect it went above allowable paintballing velocities, but 10gr FFFg under a patched .68" paintball worked well in a 12ga caplock I once owned. I just did a search and see that one can get 11mm (.43") paintballs - may have to try some in my .50 sometime.

Regards,
Joel

It amazes me the type of accuracy that can be gained from a tight PRB our of a smooth barrel. Looks like you've got a great backup to the Virginia.

With any luck, I'll be able to post a pic of a deer and my own TVM Virginia this season. Good luck!! :thumbsup:

It really is surprising...and I happen to believe sending them down range under a full head of steam contributes to accuracy out of a smoothbore too...less chance for them to slow down and start the knuckle-ball effect.

I'll be going back to the range again to fine tune a couple more groups at 50yds just sitting like I usually am when deer hunting, and with a slip-on rubber recoil pad to simulate wearing thicker cool weather clothes.

Then for the first time ever in all these years, because I've always just zeroed smoothbores at 50yds, I want to shoot a group at 75yds to see how well they're actually doing without rifling at that distance...never tried it.

Yeah, it's always nice to tag one with a new rifle...hope we both do !

Back