• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre season calling fun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I found myself in a situation this evening after an all day rain to have a little fun.

I spotted 3 gobblers with about 10 hens in a field that I have permission to roam upon. The landowner allows no hunting on this piece unfortunately.

I soon found myself on the opposite side of a swollen crick ("creek" to non-hoosiers) :haha: from the birds. I called to them and the boys were sure fired up. They were gobbling and double gobbling and slowly made their way to the far side of the water from me and put on a great strutting and drumming display.

A lot of fun with the season still a couple of weeks away. It'll be a long wait. :shocked2:

Best regards, Skychief

Fool gobblers and hens are walking through my yard daily,,,drives my cats nuts..The toms are gathering the hens up in flocks and trash talking.If they just get out from between the house and the truck,,, it's show time..

I just go out to the fence by the field and whack the 5 gallon plastic pail against it and yell here chick, chick,chick,. They come at a run hens ,jakes and beards, Such wily birds.

I do not hunt them or even like them as the Ruffled Grouse [for the non NH folk have taken a hit from them]

Skychief said:
nhmoose said:
I do not hunt them or even like them as the Ruffled Grouse [for the non NH folk have taken a hit from them]

Wait, what?

There is no scientific basis for that, it is an old grouse hunter's myth. The 2 species do not compete directly for most foods and each favor a different type of habitat.

Back