• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

target man

36 Cal.
Reaction score
hi i like to know wich one is better ,
will both will last as long in time ?

4971251005350x350.jpg

497231.jpg

tanks
target man

The one showing in the photo is the better. I doubt you could find the invisable one! :idunno: :idunno:

I assume the other one might be a side-valve model. :hmm: I have one of the push types like the pic above (though mine's a bit more bulky looking) and it works fine. If the other one in question is, in fact, a side-valve, those are free flowing, so you'd need to be a bit more careful or you could overfill the pan (just a pinch is needed).

edit: Yep. You posted while I was posting my reply. That's the side-valve model I was referring to. :haha:

I use the first one you pictured (push down) with my .50 flintlock. Like it because you get a consistent measure and only a small amount at a push. Some people think they need to fill the pan but that doesn't make it fire any faster and blows a lot more smoke in your face. Besides, too much powder can cause a hangfire if the vent gets full of powder. Little bit goes a long way with fffg.

I have had one like shown in your first picture for a lot of years. never has given me any trouble. Mine throws the smaller (3 gr) charge which allows me to use that or increase the charge as needed by additional plunges.
Mark

it seem the firt one is the most popular ,,,
and now i know they can work well many years ,i was suspected they were the less good one ,,

now im more confuse ,to shoose hahaha i wanted a perfect match for my horn with the brass plug ,,,

and will prime with the same powder than my load,,
i wait an other day to place my order ,the night will probably help to think

kgrhqzhjbqe9qmdgl47bphk.jpg

i will probably shorted the brass tube ,,,

tanks for your reply

target man

I had two of the push type similar to the first pic but lost the smaller (my favorite) one while deer hunting. The one I still have is older than the one I lost but works fine. I also have one made from a deer leg bone which I like a lot and prefer it for hunting.
PICT0632.jpg

The first one posted does not work well for me with 3F prime. I bought the second one posted because it seems to have larger ports internally to handle 3F. I use the first mostly but wanted the option to prime with 3F if necessary

Both are great.

tanks ,i apreciate all comments and details,,,

now i know i want them all,

i like the look of the no bouton one
nut will prefer to use the second one whit other than 4f,,
and i absolutly want to built mine too hahahah

tanks
target man

Back