• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

priming powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustydean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How ya doin'!
I just finished building a GPR flint rifle, & have yet
to shoot it. I was going to round up some 4fg powder
to prime with, but was wondering if Pyrodex P would
work. I have plenty of that. Thanks for any replies !

I guess ya could try it, but I suggest 3F real BP in the pan & in the barrel if it is under a .54 cal or smaller. I would not waste my time with anything but real BP in a GPR as they shoot Wonderfully with real BP in them.

IMHO, If it is a .54 cal, I would try 65 grains of FF or FFF, then 70 grains then 75 grains & find the best group. .535 ball, .015 oxjoke patch & some Lehigh Lube, only us 1/2 pan of powder. You need the vent to be coned inside & outside & about a 5/64" dia vent hole. Load it & then take a vent pick or a curved large gem clip & open the vent hole back to the main charge so the vent is open hole all the way. After shooting swab with a jag & a wet tee shirt patch down & back one stroke, then wipe off the flint & frizzen & wipe out the pan, reload & do it all again....

For deer hunting you can use 75 grains of same or 2F. I would not continously shoot 75 grains of 3F in it as it may eventually gas cut the barrel, but once in a while will not hurt it..

Good luck !

My experience with Pyrodex is that it does not work well in Flintlock guns. This is true whether it is in the pan or in the barrel.
The reason for this is Pyrodex has a higher flash point (700 degrees F) than black powder(400 degrees F).
I am not saying Pyrodex wont fire in a Flintlock, but be prepared to get about 1 successful shot for every 3 pan primings.

To enjoy your rifle to the fullest, find some Black Powder.
You didn't say what the caliber is so I'll guess it is a .50 or larger.
IMO the best powder for this is FFg. This grade can be used in the pan as well as the main charge.
A lot of people here also use FFFg, even for a .54 and they claim good success with a little less fouling. FFFg will work great in the pan for priming.
Some will say FFFFg is best for priming. I use it, but I cannot say I see any difference between it and the FFFg in either speed or repeatability.

You will notice a difference betwix FFFg and FFFFg in the priming pan if the weather is damp, FFFFg will draw moisture faster than the other grades...

There is also the simplicity of only having one powder to carry afield when loading and priming from the same horn...

All I've ever used since switching to flintlocks is 4F in the pan, using a small pan primer that fits in a shirt pocket, which dispenses exactly the same amount of powder each time.
When hunting, to ensure the prime doesn't fall victim to high humidity, I took BirdDog6's advice and just dump it out and refresh it it every hour...only takes a few seconds and costs about a penney a day...have never had a problem using 4F for priming powder.

Thanks for all the suggestions! The rifle is a .54.
I think I will start by getting some 3f and just
give it a try in both the barrel & pan. I can't find
any 4f @ any of my local retailers, & I hav'nt really
checked out if it's cost effective to have some shipped
somehow. Ena-hoo, Thanks again ! I can see this forum
will be my salvation to successful B-P shooting !

For what it's worth from a VERY new flinch lock shooter- 3F is all I have used in my 100 or so rounds down range and it is the kindest part of learning to shoot my trade rifle consistantly and accurately...everything has else has been s-l-o-w learning:

remembering to pick the vent hole between shots, making sure my flint is sharp, getting real leather to clamp the flint as opposed to the "pleather" the put in in the factory, getting all my supplies squared away in some order that takes me less than 10 minutes between shots- and on and on...but WHAT FUN! :haha:

Back