• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper way to install Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Mike

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a proper way to install a flint in the jaws besides;line it up and let it rip.I'm lookig to improve my technique. Regards,Mike

I install the flint square with the frizzen. On those locks that have the configuration, I set the flint so that it is almost touching when the lock is at half cock. On those that have a little more clearance, I just line it up and make sure the flint will not hit the pan. Most of my locks like bevel down but I have a Cochran that likes bevel up.

You want the position that give you the most "scrape" along the frizzen to produce the most sparks.

YOu can always make a spacer gauge or " Feeler " guage from a think slat of wood, like a paint stick, to set the gap AND square the edge to face of the frizzen when you initially put the flint in the jaws. leave the spacer there while you tighten the cock.

But, then to make sure that the flint is cutting across the entire edge, LIFT the frizzen up so that the flint, when lowered in the cock, will strick the lower end of the face of the frizzen , where it joins the horizontal portion of the frizzen. I refer to this as the " Heel " of the frizzen as the L-shaped frizzen, when removed from the frizzen bridle and lock resembles a human foot.

Hold the frizzen in that raise position with the side of your Left thumb, cock the hammer, and pull the trigger. The flint will strike this heel at a very sharp angle, knapping off a very small edge across the entire width of the flint. That will square the edge to the face of the frizzen, and give you a good Cutting edge to cut steel when the lock is fired thereafter.

This technique is the way I now knapp my flints whenever they get dull, or I have to move them forward and remount them because they are wearing down. If the flint strikes the frizzen at a 60 degree angle, it knapps off a bit of the edge with each blow, giving you a new clean edge for the next strike. The correct angle insures that your edge will not load up with steel bits, and the angle insures that the flint SCRAPES steel off the frizzen face, not gouging it off. If your frizzen face shows gouges, and chatter lines, running horizontal across the face, the angle of the frizzen is wrong. See my article on Shooting and Tuning Flintlocks in the Member Resources section of the Index, under " articles.".

Mike and Paul have pretty well covered the alignment of the flint in the lock. The remaining issue is whether to use lead or leather as a wrap for the flint. There are strong opinions pro & con on this & rather than reopen an old and lengthy debate, I suggest that you search the archives on lead vs leather. Whichever method you use, correct alignment and a quality flint are the keys to good results.

Coot said:
The remaining issue is whether to use lead or leather as a wrap for the flint. There are strong opinions pro & con on this & rather than reopen an old and lengthy debate, I suggest that you search the archives on lead vs leather.
Please don't bring that up. :surrender: Regards,Mike

Great wisdom there Mike. We don't need the sparks flying every which way again. :grin:

Marc

The proper way to install the flint is whichever way sparks most and breaks flints least. That varies by gun. Experimental results with your gun will let you know which is right for your gun.

...and to think I've been using Gorilla Glue for nothing... what a waste!... worst yet, changing flints was hell on wheels!!...
Bob
:rotf:

Back