• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purdey rifled musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmforge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was perusing one of the British ML websites,the one that offers the Whitworth lock with the safety IIRC and came across a reproduction lock called the Chillingham Purdey rifled musket lock. The backstory was that in 1832 or thereabouts, the Earl of Tankerville who resided in Chillingham Castle in Northumberland was concerned about social unrest and as such, he contracted with Purdey to build some .72 caliber rifled muskets for his "private army" Purdey built 35, 33 of which were the "plain"models and two that were supposedly much fancier, for the Earl and his son. I found #30 for sale on an auction website archive. As it has the octagon to round stub twist barrel, it occurred to me that a period incorrect (more modern materials) version might be a good project using one of those damascus tubes that Peter Dyson sells, perhaps in a reduced caliber with a liner. Neat looking gun even without the typical Purdey embellishment. Hope the link works http://archives.collectorsfirearms...ort=pricedesc&page=2&category=&product=al2833

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for showing us that. It is a beautiful piece, & for it to survive in that condition is amazing.
I wonder how many of them did survive.
That would be a good rifle to repro & I hope you do it.
In its honour I feel it should remain 72 cal.
O.

It does make you wonder how long all of them were kept locked up at the castle as family heirlooms? IIRC, I saw reference to that one or another selling for close to $10K which may be a bit of a "bargain' for an old Purdey with provenance like that as best as I can tell. I have seen some of the fancier percussion guns and rifles that sold for $30K or more.

That is where my search started. :wink: I had looked at that site because of the Whitworth lock, which is the only reproduction English drip bar lock that I have seen that has the safety lever. The Purdey lock is a more recent addition.

IMO, muskets aren't things of beauty, the Brown Bess being an exception. But this Purdey musket shows that they can be beautiful as well as functional. Purdey w/ this musket w/ its simplicity, produced a gun that is truly beautiful.....Fred

I agree. I would love to see what the two fancy ones looked like. The only really "cheap" raw components that they used on the regular ones were brass hardware, a lock with no safety and less fancy wood. They still have the premium barrel and much of the difference is lack of embellishment.

That rifle looks very much like a percussion version of the Baker Rifle, . Lovely condition.

Almost all of the Purdey rifles were ordered to Purdey but the plain ones were commissioned to the Birmingham maker by Purdey. I seen several of these rifle which were very plain ,a deceased
collector friend of mine had most of them before moving them on .These guns were of a second batch of guns which were ordered by the Duke for the militaries' to use against Napoleon if he threatened English Shores .Each gun was complete with bayonet and powder flask of which some flask were of horn. Enclosed is a image of a powder flask for number 26 rifle with a window in each side and the Dukes crest on the measure
Feltwad

Powder Flask Number And Crest

Back