• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex P enemic at best.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittsburghunter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Used some in my 1858 Army last weekend and found it not only less accurate but it seemed to pack less of a punch in this little .44. Fouling wasn't bad but until I went to the max load of 30g my shots were everywhere.

Anyone with better results out there with this powder?

I've used both RS and P in My handguns,and it worked well.Are You certain Your compressing the ball down on the load?It seems Pyrodex requires some compression to function propperly.

had very good results from it and generally load it either at full doses or close enough for a bit of compression on seating. Alot is made of its corrosive nature but I haven't seen that. I clean them all the same way regardless of the type of powder and get no rust or corrosion.

I've found that pyrodex fouls less or more slowly than goex and that h777 leaves little or no significant fouling build up. 777 is a bit wild with compressed loads though.

Pyrodex is significantly harder to ignite than black making it particulary important to have all oil and such cleaned from the chambers before firing.

Pyrodex is significantly harder to ignite than black making it particulary important to have all oil and such cleaned from the chambers before firing.

My point exactly! Why use a substitue if you can get the real black? I have tried all makes of substitutes and I always come back to GOEX. PLaying around with caps and doing all kinds of cleaning with alcohol and such is not conducive to good shooting. Our guns were made to shoot with black powder, period.

I understand that there are some places in the US that getting actual black powder is nigh impossible. And for those people Pyro and the like may be the only thing you can use. But with all the black powder makers and shippers, unless you live in Chicago, NYC or Detroit, you should be able to get black powder.

In my opinion, if you use actual black powder, most of your problems go away. :m2c:

This is about what I thought. FFF T7 works great with this pistol I max that at 25g with wonderwads. I use FFF Goex up to 30g and that works very well also.

30g of Pyrodex P felt like 25g of the Goex. And now that I think of it Pyrodex was more corrosive.

I have seen actual examples where Pyrodex has been proven to be more corrosive. I personally know of at least 6 guns that it ruined. 2 of them were revolvers, 1 a single shot pistol, and 3 were rifles. They were all cleaned with typical black powder cleaning procedures, and when they were checked a few days later--there were no signs of any problem. Two months later, they were rusted horribly and left virtually useless and worthless. One of these guns, (an I*****), had to have the breech plug drilled through to get it removed--another good reason NOT to own an "I" word

NO... these were NOT guns of mine, but of two really good friends who never had any problems with black powder rusting.

In a few instances, I have seen better accuracy from the Pryrodex P loads in some revolvers, but never any more velocity or power. So, I suppose in target shooting scenario, Pyrodex may have some use, but is it worth the risk?

I will stick with Black Powder use ONLY, unless I have a problem finding it.

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

The Lyman "Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual", 2nd edition says the following about Pyrodex P.

.44 caliber revolver, 8 inch barrel, 1:24 twist shooting .451 dia roundballs with OxYoke Wonder Wad:

Elephant FFFg
20 grains = 623 FPS
25 grains = 740 FPS
30 grains = 819 FPS
35 grains = 874 FPS

Goex FFFg
20 grains = 640 FPS
25 grains = 727 FPS
30 grains = 794 FPS
35 grains = 848 FPS

Pyrodex P
20 grains = 739 FPS
25 grains = 847 FPS
30 grains = 896 FPS
35 grains = 979 FPS

Maybe you got some defective Pyrodex P? Or were you using Pyrodex RS or Pyrodex Select?

I have a thing against pyrodex select!!

But I have yet to see it in P.

I use only pyrodex P for my 1851 navy colts AND my .32 crocket pistol.

I don't really have anything to compare against it, but I find that pyrodex p is a fine propellant. It's all I've ever used for my pistols. I have never found it to be corrosive as long as I clean my guns right. It shoots just fine without any kind of noticeable drop in the bullet or anything to me.

Again, I have nothing to compare it too, as it's all I've ever used or am able to use. That's all they sell here in southeast louisiana. But for my money, and for my pistols, I see no fault with the regular stuff..

I have used the select in my rifle though.. and it sucks. I think the select is for those "in-line" people.... Higher burn temp. Long delay..

But that's in my rifle. this is the pistol forum. :grey:

Well said Johnny Reb!I found pyrodex "p" rather finicky.I demand the utmost reliability from my revolvers.So I ONLY use Goex 3 f powder and RWS caps.Reliability is no longer an issue.Best regards,J.A.

I have tried it in all three of my revolvers. I didn't notice any lack of power in any of them, but accuracy varied considerably. In my .36 caliber Colt Navy, 18 grains of Pyrodex P is by far the most accurate load I've ever put through it. In the .44 Navy accuracy was worse than with Goex FFFg, but it would due in a pinch. Finally in my Second Model Dragoon, accuracy was atrocious with Pyrodex, and if there ever comes a time when all that is available is Pyrodex, that revolver will become a wall hanger. The accuracy that I got with Pyrodex in that gun would make shooting it pointless.

Recorded velocities and spreads:
Uberti Dragoon:
Load Velocity Spread (5)
.454 Ball 45 Grains FFFG 881 fps 19
.457 Ball 50 Grains Goex FFFG 890 37
.454 Ball 50 Grains Swiss FFFG 1217 51
.457 Ball 40 Gr./Vol. Pyrodex P 1030 56
.454 Ball 45 Gr./Vol. Pyrodex P 1157 55
.454 Ball 45 Gr./Vol. Pyrodex RS 869 85
200 Grain Lee Conical Bullet
35 Grains Goex FFFG 967 26
35 Gr./Vol.H777 1101 66