• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quality pistol accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenders

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just received my Lyman Plains pistol. And really, really liking it BTW. You guys were right, it shoots pretty straight (in the hands of a guy who is no pistol marksman).

I am currently trying to load the pistol using cheapo accessories from a CVA rifle starter kit I purchased on closeout. I need a way to accurately measure 30-40 grains of powder. I am eyeballing about where it should be using my larger brass measure. (and no doubt off by +/- 5 grains from one shot to the next). Also using the plastic powder flask that clogs every time while trying to dispense into the measure. Hoping to buy upgrade accessories and get it right in one purchase.

you can't go wrong at track of the wolf, they have decent pistol rods/starters, powder measures fkasks etc. there is a brass variable measure that has the nozzle end the one that enters the barrel, that when colsed over the measure levels off the charge. I believe this gives a bit more consistancy in charges. in actuallity it probably only means +/- 1/2 grains but for the retentative types it makes a differance

My pistol charger is a small adjustable one w/ a rotating funnel that levels off the load when turned prior to dumping the charge. It's made specially for pistols, but haven't seen any for sale for a while. You can get small fixed chargers that you can cut/file down to the charge you want. I use either a small pistol horn or a metal flask to pour the powder in the charger.

If you will be doing a fair amount of range shooting, you will want a stand, a range rod and certainly a better powder system. I like the round brass flask that CVA and some others sold. Various spouts can be obtained and cut to the length that you need. For target shooting and hunting, you will probably want two seperate measures. However, for starters, just a couple of empty pistol cartridges of various cal. and lengths. for a 50 cal Pistol, you will probably be shooting around 30 grains. You can get a 30 grain flask spout, or just experiment with different small cartridge cases. a 38, 357 max, 44. 45 auto. etc. I once had a table of how much powder empty cartridge cases held, can't find it now.

Cains Outdoors sells a variety of smaller powder measures and they are liked to MSM, a manufacturer of alot of brass loading accessories.

OK, found the table of cases and grains powder they hold. (In the back of the Dixie Gun Works cat. in the reference pages. A lot of good info there.) An empty 45 auto case holds 28 grains of powder. An empty 45LC case holds 42 grains. (same for an empty 30-30)
an empty 38 Spec holds 24 grains. and an empty 30 cal carbine holds 20 grains.

Now keep in mind that these amounts may vary slightly from Remington, to Winchester, to Federal etc.

A fixed small charger I can cut down would be fine. If anyone has a particular part number it would help. I am looking online and can't really figure out what I need to buy. Nothing that would work for a pistol seems to be available locally.

The empty cartridge method would be good too, but I would like to verify with a measure so I know for sure I'm getting the correct charge.

Latest posts

Back