• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ando009

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have one question

Why flintlocks and matchlocks use fine black powder in FFFFg granulation for priming?

It is finer so catches easier and is faster burning than coarser grains. Many people here use 3F as prime so they don't have to carry two different powders. It works well enough for prime.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem to get more delay using 3F instead of 4F. Not much but enough to notice.

FFFFg is the quickest burning and perfered by most, but one does not have to use it. FFFg or FFg can be used.

It is my understanding that FFFFg burns a tad hotter as well as faster and ignites the main charge a little more reliably and quickly/

Welcome to the forum...

First, back in the 1700s you had cannon powder and sporting powder which was actually closer to FF powder...

Flintlocks still work well if FF is used in the barrel and pan...

Personally I use 7F priming powder in my FL. I really like it. It seems to do a better and faster job than 4F. Tom.

Mike2005,
I don’t think it is your “imagination” but I also don’t know if it makes any real difference. I am doing some tests with the two sons and you can readily tell the difference between primes. It’s pretty difficult to make a plausible study when the difference is so minuscule, however. The fact that you don’t have to buy two kinds of powder may be all the justification one needs to use 3f everywhere.

I shoot 3F in my barrel and 7F in my pan. You can definitely tell the difference in ignition time with this setup over using 2F or 3F in both. Tom.

" Null B" is a Swiss powder, similar in granular size to the American 4Fg priming powder. 7F powder is a much finer granulation of powder, used in the mining industry. Its generally NOT sold by BP dealers to customers, and must be obtained from retailers that sell it to miners for fuses. West Virginia is still one of the most prolific states for mining in America.

Because of its very fine granular size, 7F powder burns considerably faster than does even 4Fg powder- noticeably so. Since its only being used as priming powder, in the outside flash pan, Its use poses NO danger to the shooter, or the gun.

I use both 4F and 3F to prime; more often these days, I use 3F. I don't see any difference in timing. I know that 4F is not coated, and 3F is, and that 4F is more sensitive to humidity. I'm using the 4F mainly to use up the supply, and I will not replace it when it is exhausted. Hank

I am not sure where he gets it. But I buy my 7F pan powder in a small plastic bottle(approx 1-2 oz.). I get it at a small local BP dealer here in Northern, WV. It works really well. And is noticeably faster burning, and a noticeably faster ignition timing.

I only fill my pan about 1/3 full of this powder. So one small bottle lasts a long time. Tom.

One can approximate 7F if carefull. Careful meaning check to see how much you have crushed the powder after a roll or two. Take two sheets of wax paper and roll over the powder with a rolling pin with the powder between the sheets.

4F is not coated? Don't know where you get yours. My Goex says FFFFg. The "g" is for graphite coated.

I believe it when you say you cannot tell the difference between 2f and 4F in the prime. Doesn't mean 4F isn't faster.

Let's see 3F is as fast in the pan as 4F, right? But 3F is faster in the main charge than 2F? Hmmmm, then why do they make Fg, FFg, FFFg, FFFFg and FFFFFFFg? Just a sales gimmick? Or do they have different burning characteristics?

Shot some 7F years ago but the 4F can was almost full then. When I get low on 4F (quite a while longer as I still have almost 1/2 pound) I will look for 7F.

TC's take on it.

My brother used a screen he bought from Graf & SONS, for their powder screening drum, to screen 4Fg powder. The "fines" that came out were on the order of the dust you get when you cut a "black Cat" firecracker, and scrape off the black powder in the firecracker.

I don't know what the mesh size is for a screen to get 7Fg powder. [4Fg must pass through a 46 mesh {46 holes per inch}screen, but not through a 60 mesh screen] But, I have been told by several knowledgeable sources that 7Fg powder is still used in these small firecrackers. ( "Ladyfingers", too.) Its also the fine powder used in the paper wrapped fuses found in firecrackers.

The "fines", left after screening 4Fg, burn considerably faster in your flash pan than does 4Fg. :hatsoff:

Tom, I'm curious - is the "7F" powder 7Fg sporting powder or 7FA blasting or pyrotechnic powder? If it is not marked, 7Fg would be much finer grained than 4Fg, while 7FA would be similar or only somewhat finer, but would be non-glazed and non-graphited, and possibly not even polished (depends on the manufacturer). Lack of glaze and of graphite would still likely make 7FA faster-igniting then 4Fg.

Regards,
Joel

Back