• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about Colt Archive letter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a set of consecutive serial number 2nd Gen Colts in a nice presentation box. I thought I would go ahead and get the Colt letters to go with them. However, I'm seeing two different prices. One that says $80 for reproductions, which works for me, and the online form that calculates $305 and there is no option for reproduction. So I assume when I pick cap and ball from the drop down list as the type of revolver it lumps reproduction and original in the same category. $305 is out my price range for a "nice to have", especially since I'm looking at getting a pair.

Second question, the online form asks if there is any engraving on the gun. I consider that to be a yes and no. Is the cylinder considered engraved? Or are they asking about any additional engraving? If I answer yes, its an additional $100.

Kind of looks like Colt is trying to make more profit from generating a letter than from selling firearms.

So anyone with Colt Archive letters have experience with the above? And, does anyone know if this is a Colt case? Or, is it aftermarket?

20240708_165914.jpg

Last edited:
That's a very nice set. Colt letter or not. You're probably on target wrt their intentions. What it's worth to you, I can't speculate. But I can guess that it probably won't add as much value as you paid if you choose to sell this set.

That's a very nice set. Colt letter or not. You're probably on target wrt their intentions. What it's worth to you, I can't speculate. But I can guess that it probably won't add as much value as you paid if you choose to sell this set.
Yeah the letter wasn't for my benefit, it was more of a nice to have for my kids whatever they decide to do with them. Right now they know very little about guns beyond they are fun to shoot. That's the important part. But someday when I'm no longer around to answer their questions a Colt letter might help them understand what they have.

Back