• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for New York hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mart

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am planning a trip back to New York next year for Thanksgiving. My dad lives in St Lawrence county where I grew up. While perusing the NY hunting regs I didn't see any bear tags offered to non-residents. Can non-residents buy bear tags in New York? My main objective is to take a whitetail with a muzzleloader but wouldn't want to pass on a black bear if the opportunity was presented. I know the muzzleloading season is not running then but I assume that there is no restrictions on using one during the regular gun season.

Hi Mart,

Yes you can hunt bear with the out of state tag.

I just returned several weeks ago from the Adirondack Mts. where I hunted for bear. If you go for Thanksgiving next year you will need the 07-08 tag covering that period and you can use the muzzleloader during the regular season.

get-R-done

I think the liscense was $130.00 for the big game out of state and the bear tag was an additional $30.00

rabbit03

rabbit03,

Thanks. I was a little confused when I didn't see bear tags listed in the non-resident section of the regs. Thanks again.

Mart

I not very smart. :redface: I just went back to the online New York regs and the non-resident bear tag just jumped right out at me. I guess seeing that first entry that says deer only stopped me from looking farther down the list. Do you think they will still let a knucklehead like me hunt in New York?

Mart

Your not the first nor will you be the last to look over something or stop short of finding it. Kind of like I do more often than I would like to admit.

Good luck hunting this year and hope you get one. I am most likely going to be up there for the early season next year since I have the necessary tag now from this years hunt. And depending on how things go may just stay till the next season also.

rabbit03

non-resident big game lic....110.00
non-resident bear.............30.00

i used to hunt n.y. :v ..............bob

Ol' Bob is right Mart it is 110.00 but still the same you know how NY is, I would still make sure when I went to purchase it to find out before hand. they may go up!!! :cursing:

rabbit03

them prices were right from there website just before i replied :v .............bob

Greetings Bob how have you been?

Yes Bob your right, but is that the price for the Thanksgiving hunting time he needs for next year. I thought he was referring to the 07-08 season?

rabbit03

this is from there website....i don't know when or if they will raise there lic fee's next year :v ...............bob

The above information is excerpted from the regulations guide for the license year 2005/2006, October 1, 2005 through September 30, 2006 and presented here as a summary for your convenience only.

My plans are for a 2007 hunt. Even if they raise the prices a little, New York is still a non-resident bargain compared to most western states.

Mart

Hey Mart, methinks you speak with forked tongue you claim you're not too smart but the fact that you are a non resident says otherwise. lizardtrack

I grew up in beautiful St Lawrence county of New York and my heart has a special place for the area. I have grand memories of hunting, trapping and fishing in the areas surrounding our farm. I always had a great desire to see the West and most of all, Alaska. I ended up here in Alaska 4 years ago and plan to stay. The North Country (only a northern New Yorker knows where that is and it isn't upstate) was the training ground for my outdoor endeavors. I do miss it, but I like Alaska more. Mart

If you're going to be in NY long enough next year, it might be worth looking into the Super Sportsmen's license.
Where about in St. Lawrence county are you from?

Oh, by the way........my signature says "upstate" just so people know I'm not from near that d@#m big apple! :nono: :haha:

I grew up outside of DeKalb Junction on a small dairy farm. Hunted, fished, and trapped on our farm (185 acres) and all the surrounding farms. That was in a day when a farm kid could run all over the neighbors farms with a fishing pole, a 22, or a packbasket of traps without anyone raising an eyebrow. Some of my fondest memories are of those days.

I plan to be back there next year for 7-10 days over the Thanksgiving holiday. My dad still lives in St. Lawrence County on the northern edge of the Adirondacks. He sees deer frequently in his corner of the world and many of the neighboring farms are host to several deer. A few bears in the area as well. It will be an opportunity to spend some time with my dad and get a little hunting in also. I know the regular gun season is on at the time but plan to take a front stuffer with me. I might just send a rifle ahead and leave it year round with Dad. I'd have it for any future trips.

The comment I made about the North Country and Upstate New York comes from a lifetime of explaining to folks the difference between New York City and the rest of the state. When they find out I didn't grow up in the city they automatically assume that I'm from upstate New York. I always tell them that upstate is southern New York and the North Coutry is that beautiful area north of the Adirondacks. Upstate New York is too generic a term to describe the area of New York outside the city. In reality the state is very diverse with many wonderful areas. Its kind of like describing the area outside of Anchorage as upstate Alaska.

I am rambling and off subject now. I am looking forward to returning to my stomping grounds to prowl the woods of my youth with a fine flintlock.

Mart

I'm interested in ML hunting in the state of NY. So has anybody some good tipps where the best regions are? Antlers are not necessary.I studied the regulations of the DEC already. Is a foreigner similar to a non-resident in licence costs. I couldn't find any special regulations for foreigners. Every tipp would be helpful.

Greetings from GE

Back