• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question for roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartrap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
what causes a flier? could it be a ball with a slight hole in it at the sprue, that is all i can think of. 5 shots at 60 yards, 4 in a 3" group and 1 not even on the target,2'square. hard to figure out.

newhouse said:
what causes a flier? could it be a ball with a slight hole in it at the sprue, that is all i can think of. 5 shots at 60 yards, 4 in a 3" group and 1 not even on the target,2'square. hard to figure out.

You probably just put a second ball through an existing hole...nothing else makes much sense that would explain missing a 2' target square...unless you had a serious hang/delay fire on one of the shots?

The ball could be a slightly different weight. You could have moved and just the wrong moment. Fouling in the barrel may be just a bit different then the other shots. Wind may have been different. There's a lot of reason that all the balls don't go in the same hole, pick one. LOL.

While there can be lots of reasons to miss a huge target, and operator error ranks #1- please don't ask me either how I know- it is also more likely that your 4th ball went through a hole made by one of the first three. It happens more often than we like to think. Sometimes, a very close inspection of each of the remaining holes will show just the slightest hint that the hole is not truly as round as the others, indicating that a second ball went through the same hole, only not quite! If you are putting 3 shots that close, or closer, I would not spend a lot of time worrying about this.

back in 80 i was in shooting matches at 50 yards you could easy put your shots in the 10 ring but if you put a shot in the same hole the scorer called a miss,,, :shake: :shake: :shake:

Back