• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on homemade patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I`ve been piddling with homemade patch lube made from bees wax and olive oil..Kind of got it the same thickness as bore butter..Question is will this bees wax gum up in my barrel??As I finished this batch a Senior moment came over me and I happened to think this lube has bees wax in it..Is bees wax different from candle wax??

Shouldn't have any problem with that. I used bear oil, beeswax mix for a few years and it worked great for me. I just started substituting the beeswax with deer tallow now so I no longer use beeswax in my lube, but theres nothing wrong with it.

Bee's wax is fine. I've used a mix of Bee's Wax, olive oil, and lard for years. Bore butter probably has bee's wax in it.

RickD said:
Ok I`m trusting you two Yankees..
I've also use the bee's wax and olive oil. Works great. Another yank :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup:

The more expensive candles are usually bees wax, the cheapoer ones either parafine or a soy oil wax. I have used a mixture of 20% beeswax 80%lard for over fourty years. No problem. I did have some problems when I was short of beeswax and tried parafine one time.

From 1977 until just a few years ago my main patch lube was SnoSeal, it also has bees's wax in it...I never had a problem with it...

I've been using my homemade lube of 60:40 olive oil/beeswax for years. Works great.

Paraffin I believe is made from petroleum somehow. It is a lot harder than beeswax.

HD

I've been using Bees wax in my (GEEZER GREASE) lube mix and it works great.I call it Geezer Grease, because an old man I know came up with the concoction (Me) :grin: It also contains Castor oil, and I can always use some for a laxative, if the need arises.

I think it might even cure snake bite, but I can't find a willing subject to experiment on.

I have snake bite medicine.....But it's 80 proof and doesn't ge well with bee's wax :wink:

I have been playing with a combination of Deer fat, mutton tallow, pork lard and bees wax. I haven't got the ratios down yet but I sure am having fun with "cook'n in the kitchen" Just have to remember not to use the little woman's good pots for my tests!!!

All I rendered is kept in frig/freezer anything I mixed up for my lube and kept in a tin in my bag is fine. No problems yet with it. I know Boar-dilly keeps his in the freezer until use.

I use the deer tallow/bear grease mix too..haven't had ANY problems,,works great and nothin gone rancid,,was using bear/bee wax...no problems either but like the deer better...BUT a word of CAUTION!..these is Northern bear deer AND bees! :grin: not sure how them southern bees' wax will hold up...let alone Southern tallow! :shocked2:

:haha:

RC you missed your true calling..You could of had a great job selling used cars to Southern people..

RickD said:
RC you missed your true calling..You could of had a great job selling used cars to Southern people..

:hmm: well Rick, now that ya mention it, I do have a real nice shiny studebaker.....WITH THE Original belts, hoses, AND tires!!... :thumbsup: AND I think there's REAL beeswax in the trunk too! :grin: (probably a couple bees too.. :redface: ) :haha:

Ah a Studabaker, I remember the 52 Champion Dad had . Over two hundred thousand miles, good gas milage, And the Hill holder manuel transmission.

Back