• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question on the lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Being new to black power, I have a couple rookie questions regarding my percussion GPR. First is I cannot find a nipple wrench that fits properly. Any online place to order one. Second, when adjusting the rear sight left or right, what is the best way to do that?

My standard nipple wrench fits ok, so can't imagine why yours does not. I did throw the Lyman nipple away immediately though because i didn't like the shape of it.

Regarding sight, do you have the primitive or adjustable?

For now I am sticking with the adjustable rear sight.Up and down is pretty obvious, but moving it side to side is my concern, dont want to ruin anything.
Both nipple wrenches I tried were real sloppy, could probably work it, but it was not near to being a snug fit.

I've never had a problem with a standard nipple wrench on any of my Lyman rifles or pistol. I currently use a T/C wrench.

You adjust the rear sight for windage by drifting it left or right with a brass drift punch and a mallet.

HD

On the adjustable rear sight, you will want to move the sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move, and a little bit goes a long way. Before you start making a bunch of sight adjustments, what distance are you shooting at? I would suggest 25 yards, and work up a load that shoots reasonably consistent(provided they are on paper), then move the point of impact where you want it. After establishing a good load and point of impact at 25 yards, you can proceed to move the target further out.

Dave

My nipple wrench does not fit very snug rither, but it works. Go to Track of the Wolf. They have a brass drift punch for your sight adjustment. While you are there, consider getting an after market nipple (6X.75MM) or two. The factory nipple on my GPR lasted a couple of years before it started to wear and wouldn't pop caps reliably. I replaced it with a spit fire nipple from Dixie and it's still popping caps, 26 years later. Just something to think about.

Froggy: Usually any T/C standard nipple wrench will work on rifles. YOu need a special, small barreled wrench to get the nipples off of the small revolvers. Go to the " Links" section at the top of the index page here, and look at the suppliers. Track of the Wolf has an online catalog where you can actually see a life sized image of the tool you are ordering. Just ask the people when you call in your order if that is the correct sized nipple wrench to use with your particular make and model of gun. They will make sure you order the correct tool.

I assume you worry about drifting your rear sight in its dove tail notch. You need a pice of brass rod, and a small hammer to do the drifting, so you don't mar the sights. You would do best to have a friend actually hold the gun for you in a cradle while you hit the sight and watch how far it moves in the dovetail slot. Always begin by making a witness mark across the sight base, and the barrel, so you can always return it to where it started. The mark on the sight gives you an indicator for how much movement you have per hammer blow, too. Remember that you move the rear sight in the direction you want the ball to go. I always recommend looking closely at both the rear AND front sights, before moving either. Sometimes one or the other is clearly off to one side. That is the one to move first. With the front sight, you move the sight in the direction in which is SHOT, to move the barrel the opposite direction to bring it back to your point of aim.(ie. If your gun is shooting groups to the right, and you want to move them back LEFT to center the target, drive the front sight to the right, or towards where it was shooting, to move the barrel back to the left.)

If you're using the brass punch to drift the sight, don't try to hit the punch as hard as possible at first. Too hard and you might be trying to put the sight back in. Start with light taps and go easy with the hammer. You can always hit harder.

I got the same gun. Sight it in on bullseye at 13 yards and it should be right on at 100. Least thats what I found using 60 grains of FFF Pioneer powder. The guy I bought my gun from put full adjustable rear sight on. I love it and recommend it. So easy to turn a screw. For adjustment you move the sights point of aim to where the bullet pierced the target. Very simple. You will have to use a small drift and hammer to move yours if you don't have the "windage adjustment screw".

Been a while since I used the original sights on my GPRs, but as I recall that rear sight is kinda spring loaded. You can push it down away from the adjustment screw, but then an internal spring will pop it back up.

Problem is, any time that's happening there's a very good chance the screw will turn and change your sight setting. The screw is that loose when there's no spring tension against it.

My solution was to wedge a little something under the rear of the sight once I had it set right. I got kinda tired of it, and finally replaced it entirely with a fixed sight. Elevation adjustments were made by filing down the front sight a little at a time till the POI was right.

Funny thing, once you get a muzzleloader sighted in, you never need to resight it, so the replacement fixed sight isn't a handicap, and in fact is a pretty good solution to a sometimes bad problem. I didn't like the primitive rear sight provided by Lyman, so I bought another from TOW. Cost me all of $6 or $8 as I recall.

Thanks for all the input,
I did try the nipple wrench againg, and it works, just dosnt feel right.

If using the Lyman adjustable there should be no need to hammer it. Center it and then use the side adjustment screw to adjust the windage.

Using my handy sight adjustment calculator taylored to the GPR (cause the math is too tough for me to do more than once on paper :redface: ) I arrive at this for your factory sight.

One full turn of the windage screw equals 16 moa (16 inches at 100 yards) There for, 1/4 of a turn will equal 4 moa or 4 inches at 100 yards. At 25 yards it's one full turn = 4 inches and 1/4 turn = one inch.

And please don't ask me why I waste my time on such calculations!! :redface:

BTW, one full elevation turn on that sight equals 6.46 MOA.

All these numbers are only applicable to the sight mounted on the GPR and with a sight radius of 21.75 inches (check yours)

froggy said:
Being new to black power, I have a couple rookie questions regarding my percussion GPR. First is I cannot find a nipple wrench that fits properly. Any online place to order one. Second, when adjusting the rear sight left or right, what is the best way to do that?
get a metric nipple wrench from track of the wolf.
bernie :thumbsup:
[url] http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(...15&SUBID=87&STYLEID=316&PARTNUM=NW-RIFLE[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back