• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applefritt3r

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of hunting with Black Powder. I live is Southeastern Pa where you can flintlock deer hunt all through January. I see in some of these post people hunting for Pheasant and Duck with flint locks. Is there a gun that I could use for both Pheasant and Deer?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am came here to learn more. :wink:

If you're thinking of hunting both deer and fowl, a smoothbore fowler, tradegun or shotgun would be the ticket. Many of them are available in .62/20gauge, which many, including myself, feel is an good all round bore size. I'd recommend reading some of the things our Spence has posted on his own site. Being one of the older guys myself, I've come to the conclusion that his writing is not only entertaining but quite spot on for accuracy. Looking at some of Bob's work is very enlightening and very educational...lot of the answers in one place. :wink:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

His stories tell a lot and the 'how does it work' and ballistic area is very well done. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a trip to dixons muzzleloading in kempton pa, its not far from reading at all. Just up the road at krumsville exit off 78, take it straight north to kempton, cant miss it, just off the right.......

I'm near Cabela's. Dixon's is well worth the trip. Only 20min east on I-78 from Cabela's....

:)

You might want to avoid going out there just now, however. They are BUSY. I was there on Saturday and they were mobbed.

They will shut down for the last weekend of the statewide flintlock season, then they'll be open again and it will be a little more sane. After the Lewisburg show (Feb 6-7, I think), then they should be settling back to a routine.

You are about to start on an addicting pursuit, my friend. :)

What it comes down to, to my thinking at least, is this: if you intend to shoot mostly ball, a 24 or a 20 gauge is best (less lead and still plenty of power for anything you're likely to hunt in North America), if you're going to shoot mostly shot, a 16 or a 12 will perform better (my experience is that larger bores tend to pattern better, even with the same amount of shot).

For an even mix of both, a 20 is a good compromise.

:hatsoff: Howdy.Your best bet would be the 62/20.Great for both deer and small game.Go to Dixons and talk to them.Good luck in your search. :thumbsup: Griz

What Wes/Tex said

Yep, another vote for that!

Beware... for once you get a black powder rifle or smoothbore, especially when you get it shooting well and take game with it... it will become an obsession, consuming, pervasive..., you will begin to mark the passing of time from hunting season to hunting season...December 31st will loose all relevance.... the gun will take on a personality, and you may even give it a name... and you will come to wonder why it took so long for you to start hunting this way, and you will wonder why other hunters cheat themselves out of such an amazing experience by remaining ignorant of the chase with a traditional, black powder arm.

You are about to become... one of us...

one of us....

one of us....

one of us...

LD

:grin:

If I had joined this forum before I got my first muzzle loader, I might have went with a fowler or smooth rifle. But, I built my first rifle, a .50 caliber half stock Hawken replica, in the early 70's, first. Since then I have acquired a .54 caliber GPR flint lock, a .32 caliber Crockett and am 20ga SBS Pedersoli. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
for ducks and bird and deer you will need a 16ga or 12. ga. most common is a 75 cal smoothbore musket.

Loyalist Dave said:
You are about to become... one of us...

one of us....

one of us....

one of us...

LD

:grin:
:shocked2: "Yes, master"....

bwah-ha-ha-ha *

Latest posts

Back