• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions about TC Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndhntr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just purchased a used .50 TC Renegade-percussion and am very new to Black Powder. I went out and shot 10 shots(PRB)through it today. I had some hang-fires, but I think that since the nipple had quite a bit of fouling on it as well as being a little deformed, it was difficult to get the caps to seat correctly. After bringing it home, I cleaned up the nipple and sanded the outside of the nipple. It seems that the caps fit a lot better now, so I think I mighta solved that problem. The ramrod is a synthetic ramrod and is 2" too long. I don't know what it's made of, but maybe carbon or fiberglass? It is very flexible. I think I could bend it in half without it breaking. Is there a way to cut down the rod and reglue the end onto it or do I need to buy a new ramrod? Also, the fiber-optic sights were OK, but I would like to replace them with something more traditional. Is there a "traditional" peep sight that could replace the original sight on the Renegade? Thanks.

Congrats on your smokepole! Yes, you can add a peep sight, TC makes one as well as other suppliers. I don't much care for the fiberglass ramrod, but they are ok. TC makes an aluminum universal rod thats powder coated. You remove the flex cap on one end, cut it off where you want it, and replace the cap. They are much sturdier and look nicer in my opinion. Find yourself a muzzy shop and have them set you up with a new nipple, its cheap and well worth it. Make sure you clean her up as soon as your done shooting, BP is corrosive and it does not take long to start damage. Good Luck !

T/C has a nice peep that bolts right on your tang. I have one on my renegade and the tang already had the hole in it for the front screw. If your tang has a threaded hole between the 2 tang screws you're in luck, if not it not much to put one in!

Good gun but replace the nipple. If you think it might be bad, it probably is and they aren't expensive.
Get a wood ramrod and put it under the barrel, than leave it there! Because you should also get a range rod. It makes life with a muzzle loader so much easier.
Look at your tang. Does it have an unused hole in it? If it does you can add the TC peep sight with out fanfare. If it does not, you will need to drill a hole to mount the sight.

IMG_1878.jpg

Welcome to muzzle loading and the forum!

Thanks guys. The tang does not have an extra hole in it. Thanks for the picture of the peep sight. Sounds like I should just keep my ramrod for the range and get a wood one for the hunting field. I am shooting with Pyrodex powder and using #11 CCI "magnum" caps. Are there better caps out there for the Renegade? I noticed new nipples at my local sporting goods store for about $3 so I'll be picking some of those up soon. My patching is pre-lubed .010 patching and I recovered some of those when I was shooting. They were really torn up and burnt with just the round part where the back of the ball was intact. Does that mean that they aren't tight enough? Also, I'm shooting some TC RBs that don't say the diameter on the box. They just say for .50 cal and they are 175 gr. Are those .490 or .495? When I replace them, I'll want to stay consistent with ball and patch size. At least once I figure out the optimum load for my rifle. I did not clean between shots but cleaned the barrel at home with HOT (boiling) soapy water, putting the breach end into the water and swabbing with a wet patch to draw water up through the nipple. Then I swabbed with a dry patch and put the gun back together. Does this sound right? Thanks for all the help guys.

You need a thicker patch .015 or .018. I use an over powder wad. It go's between the powder and the patch. It's a cardboard disc that you can buy at TOW. The balls should be .490/.495. I also wipe the bore between shots with a damp patch w/alcohol, NOT wet just damp. Just once down the barrel and out!

My Renegade shoots Pyrodex P or RS just fine. I use both CCI and Remington caps and don't see any difference. Mine is a 54 cal so I use .530 Hornady round balls.
I am going to suggest you get some .490 Hornady RB and some .018 pillow ticking patch material.
I shoot from 60 to 80 grs as a main load but I usually come back to 70 as it seems to shoot well with that amount.
I don't swab between shots. It isn't necessary with Bore Butter lube and cause more trouble than it fixes. You don't need “boiling” water for cleaning just warn to hot will do.

once done pushing water through that nipple a few times you should take it out and clean some more so as to keep the threads nice, it will also make cleaning that area a lot easier then clean up that nipple a bit then oil it a little and reinstall. i think your barrel will like a little oil after you dry it as well

gauge said:
once done pushing water through that nipple a few times you should take it out and clean some more so as to keep the threads nice, it will also make cleaning that area a lot easier then clean up that nipple a bit then oil it a little and reinstall. i think your barrel will like a little oil after you dry it as well

...and a little dab of choke-tube anti-seize grease on the nipple threads makes removal a cinch.

you can get the manual on line for the renegade TC may still have some if you call they will send you one free if they still have them.. I scrub mine with a brush after the initial bucket treatment and removal of the nipple and such. I give mine a good scrubbing and sometimes use 2 changes of water. I wipe between shots so cleaning is not as difficult. I do not like to wait to clean my renegade it is the first thing I do when I get home from the range. I dry the bore with old torn up shirts. & oil it

I tried Pyrodex in my T/C .50 and could never get it to shoot accurately. Upon trying Goex in 2F and 3F, I got far better results.

CS

Back