• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rabbit hunt !!!( follow up to blackpowder rabbits)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well today (sat 28) was the big day. I had been planning a rabbit hunt with my neighbor for over 3 weeks. well on friday night my cousin called me to ask if i wanted to go rabbit hunting in the morning with him and his uncle who owns very good and expensive rabbit dogs. well I thought this is going to be awesome,I will go hunting with my cousin in the morning and my neighbor in the afternoon. So I was excited to say the least. friday night I called my friend up and asked him if he wanted to come rabbit hunting with me. I told him he could use my other double loader. So he came over and we did some last minute patterning to make sure we would be set for saterday morning. well saterday I drove up to my grandma's and met my cousin there. so after running a couple rabbits and all of them running in holes and not getting any shots, I was starting to wonder if i would get a rabbit. then we jumped another rabbit. i didnt get a shot at it before it ran into the thick brush. then as I was standing there listening to the dogs bark,i looked over to see the tricky rabbit sneeking thru a clearcut to go back to the thick stuff where we jumped him out of. but he was to far and was in the brush before I could get close enough. then the dogs followed his tracks into the thick stuff. I hoped he would circle back behind the dogs. luckely I was right. I was standing there in the clear cut when it ran out to the edge of the clearing and stopped. it was only 20 yards. I cocked the first hammer pulled the gun up pointed at the rabbit and BOOM. as the smoke cleared I saw the rabbit swerve from being hit but It wasnt enough to kill it outright. It started running full bore across the clearing. instintivaly I cocked the other hammer pointed at the rabbit that was now only feet from the other side of the clearing and BOOM.as the smoke cleared I saw something white on the ground. then I relized it was the rabbit! I had dropped it on a full bore run, with a 1900th century double barrel muzzleloading shotgun!I thought to myself wow now that was cool. as I reloaded another rabbit ran out. but my cousin with his 870 pump gun dusted it. in all we jumped 5 rabbits with my cousin, I missed one other rabbit that my cousin also shot lol. in the afternoon we jumped 3 and I got a shot at one of them but missed lol. after I got home I shot some trap with the double and i was able to break the clays out to 40 yards. So I had a very good day of hunting.I wont forget the first running rabbit i killed with the double and I know it wont be the last. now all i wish is that the season didnt close today lol. O well next year I will be ready for some more fast rabbit action.
my friend didnt get any shots with my 13 guage,but after shooting trap with it,he now wants one lol.
here are the pic of my 14 guage and the rabbit it got
DSCF3083.jpg

DSCF3084.jpg

DSCF3085.jpg

after skinning it I found that it had been hit with over 20 #6 bb's. and also the rabbit looks very thin because it is gutted lol. enjoy. SS

:applause: :applause: Way to go SS! It sounds like you all had a ball! My buddies and I hunted almost every weekend with our blackpowder guns behind some good beagle dogs (lotsa fun, isn't it?)! :thumbsup: By the way, when you miss rabbits there, do they do like our Indiana rabbits and do this ( :blah: )?

Glad you got one! :haha:

SS Nice hunt. You done something I have yet to do. Forgot to tell you they had four air guns at the auction last nite. One was a match one,it sold for the most money. PP Dilly

Way to go!

20 pellets should get the job done. I'm surprised you needed that second shot.

Brent

well the first shot i missed lol. but I nailed nim on the second shot. I skinned it out and will be doing a shoulder mount rabbit soon lol. I cooked it up tonight and it was absolutly delicious.

Now, aren't ml'ing shotguns, BP best kept secret. I would love to go rabbit hunting, we just don't have any rabbits.

Thanks for the story SS. Did you run your beagle with the good rabbit dogs?
I went hunting saterday also,I shot one that had a broken foot,two other bunnies holed up.

in the afternoon I took her. and she ran one of the 3 rabbits we jumped. But i dont know if she lost it or it holed up or what,but she never brought it around. I think I am going to take her to a rabbit pen and run her with a good dog and see how she does.

Back