• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabies in Northeast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A heads up for hunters,trappers and trekers in the Northeast. Rabies is making a comeback.

Two rabid fox attacks in far northwest corner of Ma (North Adams), and a rabid deer attack in Troy NY (near Albany)(

The rabid deer was a nice looking 10 point and gored a man in the face, in the mans backyard.

Rabid Deer attack

Seems to be making a comeback everywhere.
Just saw something on the local news recently how they found 2 bats with rabies about 50ish miles from here. Then they mentioned a few more critters in the state with it and stated the scientist dudes are worried it will make a strong come back.

Rabies is a nasty disease.

The disease has not been prevalent around these parts for a while.

It takes it's toll on foxes yotes cats and coons.

I had what I suspected was a rabid woodchuck attack me in an open field. I was walking the field checking for rocks and downed trees before mowing,when I encountered the chuck, it didn't try to run, just sort of stared me down. I continued on but on the way back I had a 4' maple pole with with me, glad I did, because that chuck came after me; he got brained and I used the stick to stuff him down one of his holes then covered it to prevent the carcass being scavenged.

Reason for the thread is most wouldn't think deer would be carriers and to beware of any animals acting strange; stay away. Make sure your pets/farm animals are vaccinated.

Rabies and wolf reintroduction takes on a whole new concern. No breeding populations here, but at least two shot in recent years, most likely escaped from people.

While I don't think that it would apply to most of us, those individuals with a potentially high exposure to rabies can get vaccinated:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/rabies.html

Even if vaccinated, a bite from a rabid animal requires the person to get a couple of shots, but it's fewer than if you were not vaccinated.

Good post. I have hunted a few miles from there a few years back.

Makes me more vigalent about trapping. Just got my class in in march....

Here in Va in the county where I live, a rabid black bear attacked two men who clambered on top of the cab. As the bear started climbing after them one shot it and killed it. It was later confirmed to be rabid. Only one other rabid bear had EVER been documented.

We have had several cases of rabies in my general area every year for decades. It seems to involve coons, foxes, bats, and skunks the most.

I have killed several coons on my place over the years that were staggering around in the middle of the day or lethargic and showed no fear of me.

AZ has rabies. Video n news showed a German Shepherd (on a leash) killing a bob cat till some dummy pulled em apart. He of course got bit. G&F found the bobcat in the drain pipe it ran to and it was rabid. Up north here skunks n bats are most notorious with foxes occasionally. KEEP YER DOGS VACCINATIONS UPDATED!! We seem to get a family of skunks attempting to den under our shed every few years. Dogs sit still watching at dusk and every 4-5 years a grand game of throw the skunk ensues (goal is not to let the skunk hit the ground). Dumb I guess, they could care less if they get sprayed :shake:

Gotta love spell correctors. :hmm:

My wife was trying to write something to a friend and was talking about the Maine Coon-cat.

Her computer decided she couldn't use the word "coon" as it felt that word was a totally unacceptable derogatory expression.

That decision was made about 15 seconds before she disabled her computer spell checker. :rotf:

Zonie said:
That decision was made about 15 seconds before she disabled her computer spell checker. :rotf:
Bingo, same here. Rather my posts look like a twitchy 8 year old than some totally outrageous nonsense! :rotf: My oopses I can go back and correct...assuming I see if before I turn into a pumpkin at midnight! :shocked2:

In the Deep South, "coon" and "possum" are considered the correct names for two small animals.

for instance: The Indians called them "possums'. A white hunter and his Indian companion were hunting in Ga and a small marsupial wandered across their field of view. The white man asked his companion what was the name of that animal. The Indian replied, "possum". The white man nodded his head in understanding and said, "oh, "possum". Hence the error became accidentally entrenched.

A similar error occurred when seeing a coon for the first time. :v :hmm:

In the case of the coon, it was a pet of the Indian who had named it "Ray". When he told a white guest it was "Ray, coon" naturally....well, you know. :idunno:

Back