• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ramrod help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a used T/C Hawken and it came with a horrible fiberglass ramrod that was too long. The rod had a cleaning jag threaded into one of the fiberglass ends. There are no practical ends on this ramrod that have the threads for cleaning tools like my other ramrods do. Where can I get the ramrod tips (I guess) to make this rod more useable? Or is there a replacement option for this thing?

I did cut the rod down to at least make it even with the front of the barrel so it looks decent.

Jerem0621

All the suppliers who sell jags, also sell the ferrules that you put on the end of a ramrod to screw the jags into. Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, October Country, Cains, etc. all sell them. Be sure to pin the ferrules to the rod so they don't come loose during use. Same with any handle you put on the other end of these rods. Check under member resources for Links that will give you a list of available suppliers. Most have on-line catalogues so you can shop at home, and either order on-line, or call the toll free numbers to place your order.

jerem0621 said:
I just purchased a used T/C Hawken and it came with a horrible fiberglass ramrod that was too long. The rod had a cleaning jag threaded into one of the fiberglass ends. There are no practical ends on this ramrod that have the threads for cleaning tools like my other ramrods do. Where can I get the ramrod tips (I guess) to make this rod more useable? Or is there a replacement option for this thing?

I did cut the rod down to at least make it even with the front of the barrel so it looks decent.
Jerem0621
I upgraded all of mine to brass...most are solid brass/unbreakable, one piece so there are no ends to pull loose, and it adds more weight out front which I happen to like as it improves my accuracy.

And for the rare occasion where I might still-hunt, I have a couple that are tubular brass....060" thick walls...a little lighter but still extremely strong, ends are epoxied & pinned.

Speak with Owner 'John' at[url] www.octobercountry.com[/url] if you're interested...he'll make them to any finished length you want...I specify 10/32" drilled & tapped on both ends and use that size attachments as they're stronger than the 8/32".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get a new rod for it. Track of the wolf has a wide selection of rods and tips for you to build your own. Or they have prefab rods.
Make a range rod out of the one you have. Put a wood knob on one end for a handle, get a new tip from Track for the other end, and a long cleaning jag. Presto, range rod.

HD

I had a custom rod made by this guy:
[url] http://www.periodramrod.com/[/url]

I like it better than the all steel rods Ive made in the past.

My neighbor needs one for his CVA Mountain rifle. Gotta get on that for him.

Thanks for the links guys.

B

On Roundballs recommendation I have switched to tubular brass rods, they are terrific. Uncrichie.

Johnny Tremain said:
I had a custom rod made by this guy:
[url] http://www.periodramrod.com/[/url]

I like it better than the all steel rods Ive made in the past.

I really like the concept of the steel core for strength, but how much do they weigh compared to a solid wood ramrod?

And for the rare occasion where I might still-hunt, I have a couple that are tubular brass....060" thick walls...a little lighter but still extremely strong, ends are epoxied & pinned.

kudos!!
i really like the idea of the brass tubing for a hunting or range rod!
can you give me an idea of where to obtain 5/16-3/8" .060 wall brass tubing?
i haven't seen that offered in my usual haunts:
home depot, lowes, hardware stores, or even acme surplus metals.
thanks,
sewerman
p.s. i reread the post and checked O.C. and did not see brass tubular rods listed. i have been known to miss stuff... : :hmm:

sewerman said:

kudos!!
can you give me an idea of where to obtain 5/16-3/8" .060 wall brass tubing?
i haven't seen that offered in my usual haunts:
home depot, lowes, hardware stores, or even acme surplus metals.
thanks,
sewerman
No idea...I order mine from[url] www.octobercountry.com[/url]

He has the stock blank material and makes the rods to order, you specify finished length, size D&T for the ends, etc.

He also adds a nice touch of putting a 1.25" non-slip knurled section on the end under the muzzle...speak to owner "John".

PS: Regarding range rods, from having the opportunity to try both, the solid one piece brass rods are incredibly strong for seating and/or pulling a ball...

typed in brass ram rod in search and scored.

thanks for your help!

sincerely, sewerman

A company by the name of "speedymetals dot com" has 3/8 brass tubing with wall thickness .065 listed. I've never ordered from them and there is more to ramrod than the tubing. Making one, it's probably cheaper to buy it finished from sources listed in recent posts.

Interesting posts. I was looking for some new ramrods also.

I came accross some brass hex rod. I wonder if one could make a ramrod out of it. Pin and solder the ends?

oooo cool hex rod wont roll of the bench or table and end up on the ground! Not to p.c, oh well :grin:

Swampthang said:
Interesting posts. I was looking for some new ramrods also.

I came accross some brass hex rod. I wonder if one could make a ramrod out of it. Pin and solder the ends?
Don't see why not...IMO muzzle guides should be used with any type metal rod...and in particular with one having comparatively sharp hex edges running it's length...interesting that it has a hex shape but is hollow...wonder what applications that might have been used for.

I ordered a few 6" lengths of 3/8" solid brass hex rod to use as knapping tools...cost was a dollar an inch cut to length so they were $6 apiece.

If you end up with any odds & ends scrap lengths left over, I'd recommend you save them...never know what interesting uses pop up for things like that...

sewerman said:
kudos!!

Br-Ramrod4S.JPG

See:[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/201478/post/351238[/url]

I found my hollow brass tubing at a local hardware store that is the last good ol' hardware non-big-chain stores around. They have everything! VERY dangerous to shop there ;) !

Latest posts

Back