• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djnye

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just finished a rifle and needed a couple ramrods to go with it. since i am a scratch black ash basketmaker, i went to the soak tank and grabbed some hickory splits that i had prepared for rims and handle blanks for my baskets. a few minutes with a crook'd knife to size and round them some, a hole drilled in a steel plate the size i needed and putting them through the hole, some tapering with a hand plane and a quick rub with a couple spong sanding blocks and i had beautiful, straight-grained ramrods that should last as long as the rifle. then i got to wondering what people do who are not as lucky as i am to have all that split out stock laying around. when i was at friendship for the first time this june i noticed a lot of sawn ramrod material that had some grain runout which i would consider weak and vulnerable to breakage. i am new to this flintlocking and front stuffing firearm stuff. what do you folks do for good straight-grained stock and what methods do you use to size, prepare and finish them.

daniel

I try to find the best grained ones I can at local events or from a gunbuilder friend who keeps some on hand and soak them in kerosene. I try to keep one "raw" one on hand all the time in case I break one. I do use a synthetic rod whem sighting in or working up a different load. If one uses not so snug loads and a little caution breakage is rare.

Track of the Wolf sells streight grain wood. I save the fancy one that came with the gun and use a synthetic one at the range.

Be careful with TOW ramrods, they have little strength in a twisting pressure as in useing a ball puller. Just had one shatter into three pieces doing so. Over the years I have used their rods and common dowel rods and the dowels seem stronger, but nothing beats good hickory. TOW's are not hickory, but some kind of imported wood.

I've had the same experience as Wick in using TOW ramrods. They break about as easily as dowel rod I get from the hardware store. I usually make one to go with the gun and use a synthetic rod for all target shooting. I've seen guys bread their rod and push the splintered end nearly through their hand. That's NOT having fun. I split up some hickory last year about 4 feet long which I hope will make stronger more authentic looking rods. Thanks, Daniel, for the idea of pulling them through a drilled hole to help size them.

Horse Dr.

Latest posts

Back