• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Fee's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptleo1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a chance to shoot at a range in the
neighborhood that I didn't know existed.

They wanted $18.00 to shoot. No fee to join or something. Thats just $18.00 for each day that you shoot.

Worse yet, this place was a HOLE, in many places there was
6" of standing water, decrepid falling down shooting benches, NO range officer on the line.

How much are you guys paying to use PUBLIC ranges ?

Mabey I am just cheap, but, I have shot at a lot nicer
places for a lot less money.

Thanks Guys

God Bless

Leo

Leo we have a public range near me that charges $10.00 per day, plus tax! It's a basic range with about 10 rifle stations and 10 pistol stations.
I got tired of it and joined a private club. Dues are $75.00 per year. We have a lot more stations to shoot from 15 yards up to 200 yards, all covered.
No more public ranges for me. I have seen so many safety violations I'll never go back. Our club has safety rules that are strict. A range officer must be present, their schedule is posted in the club newsletter a month ahead, and a lot of other rules. It has kept the range open for years. It's in town so many want it closed. We won't give them a reason.
Jim

The range I shoot at is $50.00 a year. I think that it is really a nice place to shoot. The members get together on the second sunday of each month for a blanket shoot. Atleast one day of the month is a maintenance day where the guys meet to cut the grass and make any repairs that are needed. There is overhead cover if you want it. The range includes a camping area off to the left of the firing line where rendezvous are sometimes held. There is a large tomohawk throwing target and a water faucet to clean up after you shoot. My advice would be to make friends with somebody who has some land that you might be able to shoot on if that range is not to your liking.

I belong to a private club with dues of $30 per year. For that I have almost unrestricted access to a pistol range (50 feet, 25 yards, and 50 yards) as well as a rifle range (50 yards, 100 yards, and 200 yards). Both ranges have a roofed over cemented shooting position with solid shooting benches. Though I haven't counted them, the rifle range has at least 15 benches. My membership also includes an all you can eat pizza party / annual membership meeting for both my wife and myself each January. I believe it's the best $30 I spend every year.

Well, if you move to NW Ohio give me a shout and you can be my guest at the range. See if you like it. I sure wouldn't mind having the chance to make smoke with someone.

No public range around that I've ever heard of...belong to a private little place out in the country, corner of a field on a farm...$100 a year...couple of small covered shelters, couple of plain tables, shoot every weekend year round except during hunting season

Guess I'm lucky. Have a State run range within 10 miles. No charge for usage, just need to sign up for the free permit. It's only 50 yds, but, it is covered, includes a trap area with free use of the automatic throwers (bring your own clays). Really nice since it has a outhouse, bench rest, and some other commodities for use on a first come basic. Sometimes it can be crowded to the point of a waiting line to use, but if you use your head it's easy to figure the buisy times and you can work around it.
It's the only one of it's kind in this state as far as I know. All others are for members and guest only and the memberships run from $350 - $1200 per year plus first year's "initiation" usually around $500 plus 1st yrs. dues.
For me that's pretty "cost prohibitive". Even on private property you'll get hasseled by the wardens and cops. They'll not stop you,,, but just be very annoying with their questions each time your out. With the exception of just a few hardnosed friendly landowners your opertunities to shoot on a non-recognised range are very slim to non-existant in Rhode Island.
Times have changed. When I was a kid (more than a few days ago) we were allowed to take .22s & shotguns to school and leave them in the Principle's office for a hunt on the way home. Now kids can't even bring plastic butter knives to school with their lunch. Of course in my day I never heard of anyone opening fire on a school either. ::

cptleo- If you get over to the east coast, check out the Indian River Co. Public Shooting Range. Located just 5 minutes from I-95 in Sebastian, its a joint venture between the wildlife commission and the county. Very well run by knowledgeable range officers. Its covered with about 30 pistol stations and 30 rifle stations, rifle 50-100-200 yards, swing-out adjustable seats, sandbags, some spottin' scopes, tape and staples for your targets provided. And its only about $8.50 for 3 hours (they usually let you shoot as long as you want). There might be a one-time fee for about the same amount for the membership card they give you the first time you go. Three hours of muzzleloading in 95 degrees is about all the fun I can take and still have energy for a cleaning session when I get home ::

I'd be glad to go shootin' with you if you get over this way. And that goes to any 'Forum members that get down to Florida. :grey:

I shoot off my back porch. Started about 8:30 this morning. Finished about 1:30 this afternoon. Life is good in the back woods!
Old Charlie

Built my own range on my land. Just two and 1/2 acres but its enough to shoot and I dont have to worry about anyone else.
Just one of the many reasons I moved out of town.

IronMan

The range that the parks and recreation built is 3.00 a shooter per day.. or 25 dollars a year for single shooter, and 35 a year for a family...there are archery ranges, a shotgun range, a pistol range and 2 or three rifle ranges... its pretty nice really... we sometimes shoot at our clubs range but it along ways out... I sure wish we were farther out so we could build our own range...I would love to be able to shoot daily... I might even get to where I could hit something :)

Wow! I didn't know how good I had it - here in PA there are ranges at some of the state game lands that are free for anyone to use.

I pay $30 a year for a private club about 1/2 mile away from home that has 100 yd., 50 yd., plinking, and handgun ranges as well as an archery range with bag targets every 5 yds. out to 60 and an archery course in the woods!

I'll count my blessings - still not quite as good as Old Charlie & Iron Man have it, though - that's the IDEAL situation!

cptleo,
In my neck of the woods there a public range
about 25 miles N of me that cost nothing, but everything
from B/P, pistol and high powered rifles & shotguns are
used there.
There is also a B/P only gun club 15 miles to
the west of me that cost me $25 dollars a year with
almost unlimited use.25 yd 50 and 100 yard ranges DUH!
:imo: B/P shooters are the absolute safest
shooters to be around so the $25 is nothing to my piece
of mind. I am also permitted to take guest with me at
no cost. Nothing real fancy, but there is a club house
and covered shooting stations. Usually when i go there is
no one there but me unless i take my son or grandson.
Friend, i think i will stay in Ohio..
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

I belong to 4 gun clubs.Does that make me a gun nut?
Fee's add up to close to 90$ a year.One indoor range is within walkin distance of here and another 100 yard range is a 30 minute drive.The last 2 are close to 3 hours from here.None are public ranges.....there's just too many Goomers there for me!

I belong to the Columbus Muzzle Loading Gun Club.
It's only $25 per year to be a part of. Open 7 days a week and the annual dues include use of everything.
The immaculate range has been around for decades. I used to belong to the same club in the 70's.
Jack

Latest posts

Back