• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range rod, starter, measure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonasa Umbellus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Newbie here, gearing up. Anybody want to make some recommendations on the best (or worst) range rod, starter, or measure? I'll be shooting a percussion T/C white mountain carbine, 50 cal.

I kind of like the CVA lifetime range rod because it collapses into three pieces, and I could therefore put it into a dedicated BP shooting box. The ball starters look pretty self-explanatory. Anything to look for in powder measures?

Any and all advice most appreciated.

The power measures that have a little funnel or spout are nice. Makes it easier to pour without spilling. Mine has a spout that closes so it evens out amount of powder when it closes.

A complete novice here, but I agree on the measure -- I think mine might be traditions brand, but it's adjustable and the spout swivels across, leveling the powder charge.

I went with a T-handle short starter, and find myself wishing I had gotten the ball-handled one.

I can't speak to the range rod as I'm still using the plastic (euw) one that came with my rifle. When swabbing/cleaning, though, I find myself wishing the rod had some sort of handle on the end. I've thought about getting a "palm saver" for seating balls, but that doesn't help get a grip on the rod to pull it back out. Maybe I'm using too tight a patch for cleaning/swabbing!

-GB

Not overly crazy about segmented/multi piece cleaning rods. Seems like you could get more wear at the muzzle with the joints between the pieces than you would with a one piece rod. Just my opinion for sure.

The measure with the rotating funnel described above is the best I've ever found and there have been plenty tried. That said, I only use it when loading from a table or bench. The one you make yourself are best for hunting or loading from the bag.

You can also make your own starters and range rods pretty easily. I don't care for the jointed rods because the joints might catch on the muzzle.

If you go with a wooden round handled starter, you ca make it a palm saver by drilling a 3/8" hole in the side of it.

I'm another newbie, just finished buying a bunch of gear. I got a steel range rod, about 8" longer than my barrel, just because it was the next size past the too short one. It has a swivelling T handle (that can be pinned to not swivel) that I like - great for pulling out a really tight patch (I may have to sand down the cleaning jag, it's a very snug fit).

Anyway, I like the rod, no chance of breaking it - the only drawback is that it needs a collar to protect the muzzle, and that was the first thing to get lost!

Jamie

The T Handle says Treso Ltd. Got it at the Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium in Springfield OR. I bought it when I was down there, but they ship all over. Google them, nice folks.

Jamie

I also like the adjustable, swing-spout measurer (probably Tradition's brand if I recall correctly), and I'm a fan of the ball-topped starter. Works well and easy on my hand.

My ramrod is a fiberglass one that, I'm assuming, replaced the original one at some point under a previous owner. It's definitely not original to the rifle and is slightly too small to stay in the thimbles... but it works for now.

I have more rods than rifles, and have always made my own. I prefer Hickory, but Ramin works fine for larger diameter rods - haven't broken any yet after dozens of years' use on several.

Making a range rod is no more complicated than selecting a straight rod without grain runout or cross grain, cutting it to the length you want, and fitting the tips. If you order from TOTW, tell them you need a blank straight the entire length and they'll hand pick one for you. I make mine usually threaded 8/32" one end and 10/32' on the other, since I have both size jags for several calibers. Always remember to cross pin the tips.

For length, I have a couple I've left at 48", since it is better to have a rod that' too long, than one that's too short. To make a rod for a specific rifle, I measure 2 hands extra length plus 1".

I've used Delrin rods before, and have found the excess flex to be annoying.

I like to pre-measure my powder loads at home into 10ml plastic vials which are easy to carry and tip straight down the muzzle.....

My aluminium range rod with bore guide & accessories are from BH Tool Co. at http://www.aramrod.com/index.html

MM

Last edited by a moderator:
I always groan with questions that ask for "best". What is best is what you like and works. The swing top or tip in brass measures have been my favorites on the range. For ronny or field, I make my own from many different materials. After trial with many-many commercial rods, I eventually settled on Delrin and even made and sold rods from that material. I also have stainless steel, regular steel and, of course, hickory. Solid brass is an excellent choice but, these days very expensive.

Sorry, marmot, but I'm not sure I follow what you mean about drilling a hole in the side of the ball: wouldn't you need to have it drilled and tapped to hold the rod so that it could be extracted after being rammed in?

It just gives a good place to put your hand to seat the ball. No slamming, just lean on it till you feel/hear the crunch of the powder.

T handles will pull out of wood ramrods when trying to extract stuck patch and jag.
Ask me how I know. :doh:

I now use a segmented brass range rod and it works real good and easy to carry in range box.

Mad Mucus said:
I like to pre-measure my powder loads at home into 10ml plastic vials which are easy to carry and tip straight down the muzzle.....

My aluminium range rod with bore guide & accessories are from BH Tool Co. at http://www.aramrod.com/index.html

MM

Nice Vials! What are they called and where can I get them?

I've made some powder measures out of antler, but until you work up a good load, you'll find one of these useful: (it's an adjustable measure with a swing- away funnel) http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/178/1/MAS-120
(I have one, but mine has a little loop on the end -I guess this is so you can tie a cord to it or somesuch)

as regards a starter, I suppose any ball with a stick on it will work.

I like the range rods made of delrin, but some find the flexion off- putting - give one a try and see what works for you. otherwise, go with a hickory rod. watch for run out in the grain, and the suggestion about having both threads available is a good one. I don't care for the T- handles, but that's just a personal preference. if the rod gets stuck, wrap a bit of leather cord around it and secure the other end to a tree or stout branch and see if that helps. by the way, if you don't cross pin the tips, VERY BAD JUJU WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

since you're starting out, I would also recommend Ditch Schoultz' method... here's a link: http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
you can get this, if I remember correctly, for about twenty bucks. I will attest that this is far and away the best twenty bucks I have ever spent on anything involving shooting sports at any time. if you follow his instructions, your groups will shrink, and Dutch guarantees it! he's a heck of a nice guy, as well as a world class coach.

in his method, he describes how to make your own rod out of a rod and a door handle ... there are a boatload of glass door handles out there - if you get a pair, you have one for the rod and one for the starter ... pretty cool!

good luck with your project, and make good smoke!

The 3/8" hole is just there to put over the end of your ramrod so you can apply pressure on the rod with the wood ball protecting your hand. Not needed when using a rang rod but very useful while roving, woodswalking or hunting. Not applicable to your T handled short starter.

AZbpBurner said:
Mad Mucus said:

MM

Nice Vials! What are they called and where can I get them?

Nevermind - after looking for about an hour thru some labware suppliers, I gave up and went to FleaBay and found 10 ml Centrifuge vials right off. Got some on order now.

Back