• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ratchet on Pietta worn - bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kropek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

After last shooting session with my Pietta I noticed a wear ont the cylinder ratchet that worries me a little. I've put a little over 100 shots through this revolver.

Here is a close up of the ratchet:

ratchet_scoring03a.jpg

The wear is on the edges and some burring is already visible. It looks like the ratchet hand is working against the wrong point on the ratchet.

Am I worried too much or is it normal in Pietta Colts?

Cheers
Andrzej

Looks like a slight issue with fit. Maybe a little file or sandpaper work to smooth the surfaces would help.

HD

I agree with Hunting Dawg; is the timing of the gun affected at all by the wear? It appears that the hand may be a bit long?? Emery

Thanks for your help.

No surface finishing will remedy the problem, I think. The hand would still work right against the edge of the ratchet, too close to its axis.

There is some scoring on the cylinder, made by the cylinder stop which I assume hits the surface too early - before the hand finishes pushing the ratchet.

Here's a pic:

cylinder_scoring-06a-min.jpg

It was taken after only a few cylindershots. Now it looks worse from the hammering it's been receiving from the indexer.

I've already slimmed down the indexer's (stop) spring in order to lessen the force of the impact. The cylinder's steel seems to be on the soft side :-(.

So, will shortenig the hand next? :hmm:

A.

Not sure about the term 'indexer' - is that the cylinder stop bolt?

The marks on the cylinder are in the anticipation notch, where such marks would be expected. I'd not be concerned about them. They indicate the bolt is just a tiny bit early in engaging the notch, which suggests that the hand is not moving the cylinder quite soon enough. I'd not be shortening the hand at this point.

'Soft' steel? Do you want your cylinder to be hard and brittle? I don't think so.

Back