• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rate of twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebmedina

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently got a used ML from a local gun shop and I cant find anything on it about the rate of twist or even the model of the rifle. Is there a way to find the rate of twist to know whether to use PRB or sabots? It's an invest arms hawken carbine in .50 cal but I haven't been able to find the model on the barrel or the rate of twist. Any ideas? Thanks.

Longhunter,
To find the ROT; insert a rod and jag with a TIGHT fitting patch into the bore. Mark the rod at the muzzle and then, near the handle, mark the top dead center. Push the rod into the barrel, with a finger on the end of the rod, in a manner that will allow the rod to rotate with the rifleing. When the rod rotates 1/4 of a turn mark it at the muzzle again and remove the rod from the barrel. Measure the distance between the two marks and multply that times 4 and you will get the ROT. Example; if the rod turned 1/4 turn in 12 inches then that times 4 is 48, you will have a ROT of 1-48.
Mark

Myself, I use a dowel rod with enough patches tied up on the end to be a snug fit on the rifling, and put a pointer on the other end of the rod to act like the hand on a clock.

I don't know how to post a link, so I'll just walk you to the place. Go to the "Articles-Charts-Links" area of this forum. Then go to "How to" and you will see a subject on how to determine rate of twist. It's more simple to read that article than to re-write the same info again here.

I will add that you can also use a tight oiled patch on a jag instead of a wire brush. Just anything that won't slip as you slide the rod down the bore. Hope this helps. Bill

You could just look it up on the Cabelas site! :)

I'm 99% certain that you will find it to be a 1/48 twist. Should make a fine target or hunting rifle.

Sabot is a naughty word for the Traditional style rifles. They are typically not designed for them. You would want to look towards a Maxi ball if you would like to shoot something other than a round ball. I highly suggest starting out shooting round balls, they are much cheaper than maxis. Once you are familiar and well practiced with the rifle, then experiment with other projectiles.The consensus here is that the round ball will do everything you want it to.

Back