• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rattlesnake powder measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I finished this a few days ago but I haven't been able to get pics till now as it seems to have been raining the last few days. I can't complain though as we have been a real drought!

Anyway here it is. I call this my rattlesnake powder measure.

Powdermeasure002.jpg

It is carved from a Whitetail antler. The idea for the rattlesnake rattle has been on my mind for a while.

Powdermeasure001.jpg

You have to be careful or this one will bite you! She will hold 90 grains of 2F Goex and possibly more is I wanted.

Powdermeasure004.jpg

Powdermeasure007.jpg

I have yet to deside if this where I want to quit. I think it will probably be as that is my hunting load. So will have to figure how to mark it there if that is what I want the final load to be!

It has a rawhide collar that is braided into a tail with bead. It can be hung from the tail and attached loosely to my bag. It will hang upside down when not in use to keep out any moisture while in the field.

Powdermeasure002.jpg

So there it is, I hope you like it!

Thanks Chance the pics really don't do it justice it looks even more like a rattlesnake rattle in person.

The wife commented that when I started it she didn't think I could pull it off but that thing gives me the creeps it looks so real! :haha:

The flash from the camera makes it look whiter but the color is very reminiscent of an Eastern Diamondback rattles. I have the rattles somewhere from which this idea came from. I didn't even dig them out this was done from memory. The snake was 6'3" minus it's head and rattles. It was the biggest I ever killed around here!

It was just something I have had in the back of my mind for a while! :wink:

:thumbsup: Very nicely done. I'd be afraid to touch that thing! Just don't leave it lying in the grass at some Rondy or somebody's liable to shoot it. :rotf:

Thanks evryone! Wick, I was wanting something different and this idea seemed to fit that bill! :haha:

I already have plans for another. The finish on this one it a bit shiny and have a few other ideas to make it look even more realistic!

Maybe I'm gullible, but the first pic threw me, and I thought I was looking at a real rattle. Good job!

50cal.cliff said:
I have yet to decide if this where I want to quit. I think it will probably be as that is my hunting load. So will have to figure how to mark it there if that is what I want the final load to be!

Nice work!

I make my measures so they throw the amount needed with a level "carded" swipe across the lip with my finger.

Stumpkiller said:
50cal.cliff said:
I have yet to decide if this where I want to quit. I think it will probably be as that is my hunting load. So will have to figure how to mark it there if that is what I want the final load to be!

Nice work!

I make my measures so they throw the amount needed with a level "carded" swipe across the lip with my finger.

I know what you mean this one had another antler off of it where the pour spout is shaped into it. :hmm: So I may fill the bottom to bring it too measure! I have done this before by mixing some epoxy and adding to the bottom of the hole. Once set up you are good to go!

Or I can just cut it off again! :wink:

Back