• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rayl barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not shot any, but have 4 of them here. As far as Looks, Inside & Outside, they are very nice.
Anxious to try one but have several ahead before I get to it. I have one inlet into a Jaeger stock I am
going to hopefully build this summer. Too many toys & not enough time to play with them. :idunno:

Keith Lisle

I don't own one.

The general consensus is that they are a premium barrel.

Ed has a small operation compared to some of the other barrel makers so there is far fewer of them out there.

I do know for a fact (first hand knowledge) that two gun builders whose finished rifles "start" in the 3500 dollar range use Ed's barrels on some of their projects.

So I would figure if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me :)

Honestly, when it comes to shooting, most all of the premium barrel makers make a darn good product. So good that you really can't tell the difference when shooting them. And they're all priced about the same too. But, all else being equal, given the choice of a Rayl barrel or a Rice, I would pick the Rayl. Why? Because it's that much more unique. Same goes for FCI barrels too. It says the builder cared that much more that they were willing to wait over a year to get a barrel to build just what they wanted. It might not be true, but that's what it says.

I've used a number of Ed's bbl. All are 1st class. He uses a much tougher steel than other makers, one should last 'bout forever. Only drawback is the wait time, he makes 'em one at a time by his self. Like a Roller lock--get 'em while you can....Tom

I have two, both from the '80s...One on my .54 that I built and I put the other on my Bob Watts flintlock that was a .45 that I converted to a .40 when I built the .54...

They both shoot well...

54TargetJPG.jpg

photo.jpg

I have used one of Ed's that was a 72 long oct/round 12 bore. I do not think his current machinery will get that long. Maybe 5 1/2 feet now?

66" long? Wow. I've been looking for someone to make me a 54" swamped barrel for the build after this one, so if he's a year wait, that would be just about right.

I have been waiting on a special one for over 2 years. Have a few here while
Waiting though.

I can not say I'm disappointed with the .40 cal pistol barrel Ed made. :grin:

Most of that open group is due to my shooting, not due to the quality of Ed Rayl's barrel.

Seriously, Rayl barrels are excellent.

you can't go wrong with a rayl barrel, top notch shooters. but be prepared to wait 6 months to a year as he is a one man shop. personally i would go with a rice barrel only because they are much more readily available. rice barrels are also top notch shooters.

You guys this is all very heart warming I'm just starting a Chambers Colonial Fowler kit with a 46" 12Ga Rayl barrel. There was a very slight warp in it, nothing serious, but I didn't mess around, went up to Birmingham, to a guy who is probably the last, apprenticeship served, one man band independent barrel borers left in the trade, who straightened it out in very short order, he commented on it's good quality. Great to know I've got a barrel off the right man. :thumbsup:

Are barrels considered a firearm in the UK? At what point are they considered such and need to be registered with the constabulary? When they're breached for the plug? Once the touch hole is drilled? Do you have secure storage requirements for the barrel during the building process? How about the rest of the unassembled components?

Ha this is where things get tricky. The local area Police Authority were very vague when I questioned them about my intention to import components to assemble a firearm, telling me that I was within my rights to import them but at the same time they didn't seem to want to tell me at what point during it's assembly they would class it as a functioning firearm. After discussing the situation with our local firearms dealer, who supplies all muzzleloading requirements, and fortunately lives only a thirty minute drive from me, he advised me that the easies way to do things was, for me to conduct all the organising with Jim Chambers and get it imported in his name as a firearm and then upon arrival at his premises transferred onto my certificate as a firearm. Although the barrel does not have the breech plug installed as yet it is kept in my cabinet with all of my other firearms. As for the lock and other components, the Police Authority inspector of my security has so far been happy with their being kept in my locked explosives box. However to answer your original question, no I'm afraid I cannot tell you at which point during it's manufacture, a barrel is classed as requiring to be registered on ones firearms or shotgun certificate.

In 2002 I purchased a barrel from a London gunsmith. It was neither breeched or drilled for the touch hole. He shipped it to me as an "iron pipe". No problem there. However, I am still waiting for the builder to build the fowler for which it is intended. :doh:

I can see where they didn't really want to give you a definitive answer, or at least not one in writing. on their letterhead, which would be the only one I'd want to depend on. It sounds to me like that part of the regulations isn't even written, as, the regulations don't really contemplate building of arcane firearms essentially from scratch. Laws in the US typically get written in reaction to some form of crime, and I suspect it's similar there. I doubt many folks in the modern era are building muzzle loaders with a view to committing such acts.

What you're doing is certainly the safest and most conservative way to proceed though. Keep it all above board, and everything locked up that you are currently not working on that could be easily recognized as a distinctive gun part. Screws and pins are probably ok to leave out, as are your tools, but by the time the stock starts looking like a stock instead of just another piece of wood it's probably best to lock it up.

Back