• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

re-sharpened files

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albert

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well folks,I finally got around to giving one of my files a workout,and I was amazed to say the least,I had an extra Bill Large bbl. that I bought back about 1980,and I put it in my Hawken. Bill made some fine shooting bbls.but he cut the flats on a planer,which didn't leave the best finish in the world,anyway, I took the lathe file that was one of the six that I sent to Boggs for re-sharpening and started filling. The bbl.is a 11/8 tapered x 36". I filed the bbl. in about an hour and a half and was amazed at the finish that I got with it, the finish looked like it was done with about a 400 grit. I have never got a finish with a file like this before ,I cleaned the file very often,and never did get any gouges in the metal like I would normally get.There was no need to use any other finishing on it, I browned the metal and was well pleased,and I am a "finish nut" On another note,My dad used the rasp and the cabinet file to work down a walnut stock for an 1890 Win. and he was amazed at how well that file cut. I would like to hear from anybody that have sent files in to see how they liked them.

Back